Home AOMEI Products Support

Backupper PE pro does not recognize flash card

I have all my backups on a 256G flash card connected via a card reader to an usb 3 slot to my Huawei Matebook X Pro 2019.
Backups are running ok on the card.
Trying to restore any backup from the card under WIN PE, results in not finding the backups.
When browsing for the backup the flash card is not detected.
This problem was also seen in very much older versions and disappeared again in the late 5.x versions. Now we have it again!
The used PE medium was fixed with the internal PE builder as well as the external program.
This makes the whole program worthless.

Comments

• @Jace, Could you try to recreate the WinPE and add the USB 3.0 drivers manually? As for adding drivers, please refer to here: https://www.aomeitech.com/kb/backupper/winpe-bootable-media-cannot-recognize-some-devices.html
  • I did as you sugested, but it did not work!

Produced a medium both ways, via internal program and the AOMEI PEBuilder.exe including the usbhub3.inf.
    Both times during production it stated: the custom driver is included.

Out of ideas.

• @Jace, Sorry to reply to your late. Could you connect a USB flash drive on the same usb 3 slot, and then boot from the WinPE to check if it can recognize the USB3.0 flash drive?
  • I could connect any SD Card via the named device to USB3 slot, when I boot from the WinPE it doesnot recognize the Card.
  • @Jace, Could you create the WinPE ISO of AOMEI PE Builder again, and then send it to us?
  • Could you give me a location to load up the ISO file?

• Here the link to DropBox: https://www.dropbox.com/s/hom1moc888rffqm/jace_ampe.iso?dl=0

I produced the ISO with AOMEI PE Builder and included the driver file: "usbhub3.inf".

• @Jace, We have tested the iso. It can list the usb3.0 device. So, the usb3.0 drives have been added. Could you try to install 5.x to create WinPE again?
    http://www2.aomeisoftware.com/download/adb/full/5.2.0/AOMEIBackupperSetup.exe
  • @ Admin
    So I uninstalled the current Backupper version 6.3 and the PEBuilder version 2.
    After restart I installed Backupper 5.2 and PEBuilder 2.
    Building a WinPE Boot Stick was not possible because the program crashed (main program) or produced an empty USB stick (PEBuilder) and that for 3 or 4 times.

Uninstalled the whole stuff, rebooted, installed everything and started the procedure again without success.

Now I`m sitting here back on 6.3 and out of ideas.
  • @Jace, "Building a WinPE Boot Stick was not possible because the program crashed (main program) or produced an empty USB stick (PEBuilder) and that for 3 or 4 times."---Please check if the USB stick is GPT format. If yes, please try to convert it to MBR via diskpart, and then create WinPE again. 
  • So I uninstalled the current Backupper version 6.3 and the PEBuilder version 2.
    After restart I installed Backupper 5.2 and PEBuilder 2.
    This time the program produced a non bootable usb stick (3 times).
    Rest of the procedure: see above.

• @Jace, Please try to create the WinPE ISO via AOMEI PE Builder, and then burn it to USB via a third-party burning tool.
  • Now I successfully created a bootable usb with 5.2 and and PE Builder by making a PE ISO (the usbhub3.inf was included) and using "Rufus " to burn the ISO on the stick.
    The stick booted ok, but the USB3 hub with the flash card was not seen.
    Sorry Admin!

• @Jace, We have checked the iso you sent. It can list the usb3.0 device. So, the usb3.0 drives have been added. Maybe the SD Card needs some other drivers. But, sorry that we can't know the exact drivers. Could you copy your image files to another USB external drive to save?
  • edited February 2021
    I tried already 4 different sd cards with the same results, so it s not the cards!
    But anyway, although I own a lifelong lizenz for AOMEI Backupper, I tried EaseUS "ToDo Backup" now since 2 weeks. It is faster, has even an PE integrated driver for the touchpad and has absolutely no problem with my usb3 hub.
    It woks perfectly ok for me, so I bought a lifelong Lizenz from your conpatitor.
    I am freely, securely and confidently working with my computer again.
  • @ Admin
    A last hint from my side:
    The USB3 hub has among others conectors for USB-A, USB-C and SD cards.
    Not a single device which is connected on any connector is detected by your PE medium although it is booting nicely from an USB boot stick connected to the USB3 hub.
    The rest is yours.
  • @Jace, "Not a single device which is connected on any connector is detected "---Did you mean that USB flash drive or removable disk also can't be detected? But, we boot the iso you offered, it detects the USB device on our computer.
    Could you try to use the WinPE media on other computers to check again?
  • Sorry, I have no access to a second computer with an USB-C connector to test my USB3 hub in WinPE to help you out.
  • @ Admin
    ...and yes the win PE medium does not detect -any- device connected to USB3 hub.
    An USB device directly connected to the computer is detected!
  • @Jace, Does your USB3 hub have a Windows 10 driver that you could add to your WinPE media to see if that would fix your issue with the hub?
  • No ... jt is just plug and play, it should be the normal USB-C driver.
    But so far every backup program I tested recognized the usb3 hub in WinPE without having to add any drivers.
  • Dear Support,

I really have to apologise about all the stress I produced with the above discussed problem.
    Now I found something new which most likely is of at least some interest to you and which could bring you to a fast solution.
    My laptop is a "Huawei Matebook X Pro Model 2019". This model has 2 separate USB-C connectors. Huawei lists one connector as USB-C and the other one as "Thunderbolt, USB-C compatible).
    Since I did not know about any technical difference between those, I did not even know that these are different connectors, I used to have the power cable on the plain USB-C connector and everything else on the Thunderbolt connector.
    On this "Thunderbolt" connector the AOMEI WinPE is having the trouble. When I hook up the USB3Hub to the pure USB-C connector it is working perfectly during WinPE operations.
    The question is still: why do all major backup programs have no trouble to identify this "Tunderbolt, USB-C compatible" connector and  AOMEI does not???

Again my apologies, have a nice weekend and stay healthy, I hope to hear from you!

• @Jace, Thanks for your information. We have submitted your feedback to our technician to test and check further. 
    So, when you connect the flash card (card reader) to pure USB-C, is it recognized under WinPE of AOMEI Backupper?
  • @ Admin

Yes it is the way you stated!
  • @Jace, Thanks for your feedback. Our WinPE currently indeed doesn't support integrating the drivers of the "Tunderbolt" port automatically. We will improve the problem after.
  • Thanks for the clarification!