Home AOMEI Products Support

Cannot restore from usb-drive

edited November 2013 in AOMEI Products Support

I made an image of my ps-systempartition and stored the image on a usb-drive. So fas so good.

Then, after restart of pc with linux-rescue-cd, i tried to restore the image. But i did not get the usb-drive in the restore-path. Only the internal disks of pc were showed. I also used a restart with a winpe-rescue-cd but with same result. No usb-disk came up in restore-path.

So my question is: Can AOMEI-Backupper 1.7 (Full) handle usb-disks as restorepath for restoring disks or systempartion? And / or is there a solution in case of. My system is Win7-64bits

Thanks in advance / Kees

Comments

• I have the same problem. I can create backups and store them on my external Seagate 3TB USB drive formated with exFAT. But when I boot from a small usb thumb drive using PE or Linux, I don't see my Seagate external hard drive.

I am testing AOMEI Backup 1.6.

Couchy123

• Hi Couchy123,

Just found a solution myself. I made the usb-drive bootable. Choose: Uitlities--Create bootable media--box Windows pe--choose and check the box with txt "usb boot device" and choose your usb-drive where you want to drop your image.

Then the choosen usb-drive has been formatted automaticly.

After that you can make your image with destination: usb-drive.

To restore this image restart pc with the usb-drive you've made bootable and on which your image is dropped.

in this way the usb-drive is displayed in restorepath so you can choose the image for restoring.

Success / Kees

• Hi Couchy123,

Just found a solution myself. I made the usb-drive bootable. Choose: Uitlities--Create bootable media--box Windows pe--choose and check the box with txt "usb boot device" and choose your usb-drive where you want to drop your image.

Then the choosen usb-drive has been formatted automaticly.

After that you can make your image with destination: usb-drive.

To restore this image restart pc with the usb-drive you've made bootable and on which your image is dropped.

in this way the usb-drive is displayed in restorepath so you can choose the image for restoring.

Success / Kees

• Glad to here it is working for you.

Unfortunately, in my case my Seagate External USB3 3TB HD drive is not found by AOMEI so I can't make it bootable.  Not sure where the get the driver. Windows is using the driver it provides natively identified as "Seagate Expansion Disk USB Device" I am using Win7 64 bit so that might be the difference.

couchy

• edited November 2013

Hello Kees and couchy123,

Welcome to our forum.

Hi, couchy123, as for your problem, please first check if AOMEI Backupper can recognize your external USB3.0 HD in Windows enviroment. Then, if the disk can be recognized, the bootable disc may lack the driver for your USB3.0 HD. Therefore you need to add the driver in the WinPE recovery disc, please refer to "Add additional driver to AOMEI Backupper bootable disc"in the Annoucement area in this forum.

Best Regards

AOMEI Support Team

• Thanks Admin for help.

Can you tell me where to find the Annoucement area "Add additional driver to AOMEI Backupper bootable disc". I looked for it in helpfiles but could not find.

Kees.

• Hi

1) Yes, AOMEI Backupper can recognize my external USB3.0 HD in my Windows environment and it does the backups to the external drive.

2) I am also not sure where the "Announcement area" is located and don't know where to get these additional drivers. I tried finding them at Seagate but was unsucessful.

3) On a side note, the Linux Version of Clonezilla release 2.2.0-16 (using Debian based), was able to see and backup my disks without difficulties. I mention this because perhaps the version of Linux that gets installed using AOMEI Backup needs to be updated to a newer version or a different distribution.

Cheers

Couchy

• edited November 2013

Hi Kees and Couchy,

I am sorry for the inconvenience. Please click here, it introduced Add Driver feature.

Couchy, in your case, you may connect the External disk via USB2.0 port of your computer or you can try download the USB3.0 driver for the port of your computer from manufacturers website.

Once again, we are sorry for the current inconvenience. We will take your advice and do our best to improve our products.

If you have any further questions please feel free to let us know. 

Best Regards,

AOMEI Tech Support Team

• Hi

I believe I figured this out. The driver I needed to add was from the motherboard manufacturer, not the vendor of the external hard drive.

I found a CDROM labelled Intel Express Installer Drivers. For Intel Desktop Boards DQ77CP, DQ77MK and DQ77KB. The file I needed was located here.

D:\Software\Drivers\Intel_USB3\Drivers\Win7\x86D:\Software\Drivers\Intel_USB3\Drivers\Win7\x86\iusb3xhc.inf

Note!  I choice the "x86" version of the driver because I assumed that you are using

the WinPE 32 bit version not the 64bit version.

• Thanks for sharing your experience. We are glad that you solved the problem. 

Best Regards,

AOMEI Support Team

• I have a USB 3 external drive that Aomei Linux boot cannot see. The PE boot disk goes "blue" with an error code, so I'm stuck with Linux Boot to run Aomei.

Here is the solution for the USB 3 drive....

Unplug the USB cable from the USB 3 port on the back of the computer and plug it into a USB 2 port prior to booting with the Aomei Linux boot disk. Now it will see it. I think the Linux boot disk does not have the USB 3 drivers, but it does have the USB 2 drivers. Success at last.