Home AOMEI Products Support

Recovery Environment vs WinPE Bootable USB

Good Morning
I currently have AB Standard Free version 6.2.0 and am looking at updating to version 6.3.0.
The changelog for 6.3.0 refers to a new feature called Recovery Environment which can be added to the Windows Boot Menu.
Is this feature instead of the WinPE Bootable USB which I have stored on external USB flash drives and which I use to access Disc Backups stored on external HDDs ?
My OS is Windows 10 Home 1909 on a desktop PC.
Please can you advise whether I should change to Recovery Environment after update or can I continue to use Bootable USBs ?
Regards,
Roy.

Comments

• @Daddybear, The Recovery Environment actually is a WinPE environment. So, you can create and boot into the recovery environment of AOMEI Backupper to restore your backups. But, the recovery environment is created in C: drive. So, if the disk is damaged, you still need to create a WinPE bootable USB to do restore.
  • Thank you for the reply.  Some more questions if I may :-
    1) Does the Recovery Environment stay permanently on the C: drive once created ?
    2) What is " Standing Time" on the boot menu - what is the optimum value ?
    3) If I don't create Recovery Environment and just carry on with USBs does the WinPE have to be updated after each Aomei update to work as before ?
    4) Is update 'valid' even if Recovery Environment has not been created ?
    Sorry if these queries seem a bit silly, but I am not very computer-literate and I don't want to do the wrong thing.  Definitely want to continue to use Aomei Backupper.
    Regards, 
    Roy.
  • @Daddybear,
    1) Yes, the Recovery Environment stay permanently on the C: drive once created. If Aomei Recovery folder is deleted or damaged, you need to recreate it. And, when upgrade a new version, we suggest that you update it.
    2) After the recovery environment is enabled, you can also set the standing time for the selection page of the system boot menu to facilitate selection on this page. At startup, you can see the Windows and Backupper boot option, the “standing time” is the time on the step. For example, you set the 3 seconds, it will stop 3 seconds at the boot page, then continue to boot into windows if you don't select any option.
    4) What mean?
  • Hello Admin - thank you for your reply.
    1) Is a "new version" indicated by just first number - eg. 6, 7, 8 etc or does updating from 6.2.0 to 6.3.0 need new Recovery Environment and WinPE bootable USB ?
    2) In 4) I mean do I have to create a Recovery Environment when I do the update to 6.3.0 or can I just carry on as before using Bootable USBs ?
    Regards,
    Roy.
  • @Daddybear, When you update from 6.2.0 to 6.3.0, or to 7.0/8.0, we suggest that you can update the recovery environment and WinPE bootable media so that they include the new version.
    Of course, if you don't update it, you still can continue to use the original recovery environment and WinPE bootable media.