Home AOMEI Products Support

Create an image file of C Drive, and save it into a subfolder in D drive

Hello,

I would like to create a bootable USB, and run Aomei from this boot. Than, to create an image to C partition (contains Windows 10 and my applications), and save it into D partition, under a subfolder, as a file.
Is that possible?

Currently, I found that while trying to create a backup into D drive, I would need to select the entire (!) D drive. This means that the entire D drive will be overwrtitten by the cloned partition. Is that correct?

Isn't it possible to save the backup file in specifc folder in D drive? (for example, D:\\Backup folder)?

I succedded to create an ADI image file, only while backup from the application (while running Windows), but not when runing Aeomi from the bootlble Disk on Key. Why?
Thanks

Comments

• edited October 2020
    Yes you should be able to do what you are wanting to do with your machine booted up off of a rescue media.
    Just to confirm that it will work I just booted up my Windows 10 machine on a USB Legacy WinPE flash drive and launched Aomei Backupper.  I selected the System Backup option and created a image file of my boot disc (drive C).  I chose the System Backup because I want to be able to boot up my machine off of the System Image that I created should I ever need to restore it to my boot disc.  At the screen where you supply the destination folder for the backup I supplied drive D followed by a folder labeled as Tmp.  The backup completed exactly like you would expect it to and the image file (.adi) was stored in D:\Tmp.  I am using Aomei Backupper Professional Version 6.1.0 (paid version). 

I would also think that you could download and install Aomei PEBuilder 2.0 to create your USB Rescue Media easier than attempting to create the Rescue Media from Backupper.  Regardless how you create your rescue media, if you can boot up your machine it should work.  I do not know about Aomei Backupper Standard (the free version) since I do not have that version available for me to test with.
  • Hello, thank you for your help!

I re-created the DOK per your guidelines, and it seems that this option is existing now (the picture with he multiple options, such as Home, Backup, Sync etc.)

I also uploaded the picture from my previous DOK that I created (as much as I remember, this was based on Linux. There is no backup option, but Restore and Clone only. Why?

• I took Linux only those options. Use
    the ISO WinPe you created.
  • The Linux version of the Rescue Media only has the restore option so using that rescue media you can only restore images that you have previously created.  You need to create a WinPE version of the Rescue Media to have all of the options available.
  • Thanks all for your feedback. Not sure why the Linux option does not have the backup option.
    I would recommend to add a comment into that option, while creating the Boot media.

BTW, I couldn't create the Boot media from the main application (The boot process has failed while booting from DOK). I succeeded to boot the rescue media only after using Aomei PEBuilder 2.0 application.
  • The big challenge with creating a functioning WinPE rescue media is knowing which type is right for your machine and which variables to examine to make that decision.  Basically you have to examine the bios mode item displayed in the system information list (open a command prompt and type in msinfo32.exe) and see if it is set for UEFI or either Bios or Legacy.  From the value contained in that list you have a pretty good idea which flavor of WinPE to select (UEFI or Legacy).  Unfortunately you also have to examine the system bios to determine if your motherboard provides CSM support.  If CSM is enabled then you may have to choose Legacy instead of UEFI to get it to work.  CSM support is usually enabled by default if you have any components that do not support UEFI booting such as early DVD drives.   

Aomei's PEBuilder 2.0 automates the process and creates a bootable WinPE media with all the correct drivers and is compatible with your machine without you having to check anything.  In addition if you have Backupper and Partition Assistant installed then PEBuilder 2.0 will include both tools on the single bootable media.  Hopefully these notes improves your success rate at creating a bootable WinPE rescue media.