Home AOMEI Products Support

Back up continue to fail

Hi - I've been having issues with backing up recently.

I create images of my system disk (C) and my data disk (D).  It's a Windows 10 system

I back up each to two different places - one set of backups to a set of external HDDs (3.5") through a drive bay and backups to a portable HDD (2.5")

I keep getting failures due to 'bad sectors'

I've run diagnostics on all drives that have not been able to identify any bad sectors,

Any idea why this is happening?  

Thanks

Additional:  I just tried to set up another backup of the system image to an internal HDD data drive - it failed there too.

Backup is initializing...

Checking volumes...

Backing up the information of storage device...

Backing up of the volume 0...

Backing up data...

Backing up of the volume 0 done.

Backing up of the volume 1 (C:)...

Backing up data...

Information Code:33

Failed to read sector (with bad sector).

Comments

• Hi Spodeworld,
    As for the error, could you try to restart the Vss service under Task Manager-->Service, and then do the backup again?
  • Restarted VSS, ran the backup again, same error

Checking volumes...

Backing up data...

Backing up data...

• edited August 2020
    Is your drive C and D two separate physical disks or are they two separate partitions on the same disc? 
    If you have Aomei Partition Assistant Standard or Pro installed have you tried running the Disk Surface Test on the drive(s)?

• My C and D drives are separate physical disks.  I ran a Error Check on the C drive from Properties and it found no bad sectors.
  • I once experienced a problem where a read error occurred and it was tough for me to find.  In my situation it ended up being an bad sector on the destination disc where I was storing my actual backup.  My suggestion would be to either run Chkdsk /r with administrator privilege on each drive involved in your backup task or if you have Aomei Partition Assistant installed run the Disk Surface Test on each drive.  Unfortunately, if your discs are fairly large this will take a substantial amount of time to complete the surface scan on all of the discs.  Good Luck.     
  • @Spodeworld, Could you try to directly close Vss Server under Task Manager, and then do the backup again? If you still get the same error, please offer us the log folder under the installation directory of AOMEI Backupper.
  • @vbbritt - I've tried to save it to more than one disk, and got the same problem.  I ran chkdsk on them all, but no problems found.

@admin - will try..thank you

• edited August 2020
    @admin
     Did that and got the same error:

Checking volumes...

Backing up data...

Backing up data...

From the log: I tried 3x times today (one intentional cancel - two I let run - both failed).  I took the files from the log for today and attached them here.  Thank you.

FYI - I've tried to back up to more than one disk and it fails.

• @Spodeworld, According to the log, it seems that the Vss service still is using. Could you check the Vss service under Task Manager-->Service again? Please also take a screenshot of Vss service so that we check.
  • I went to Services under Task Manager, found VSS, right clicked to Stop.  I ran Aomei again, got the error and when I checked the service, VSS was running again.  Not sure what I am doing wrong.

Also, I ran sfc /scannow before - it said it found some corruption but fixed it.  That was before this last attempted backup that failed.
  • Go into local services and select disabled on the VSS service and see if it will remain disabled when you try Aomei.  You may have to select "Use Aomei backup service" before attempting to try Aomei again.
  • Whenever I go into Task Manager and under Services right click VSS and select Stop, it stops momentarily and then turns back on (within 30 seconds).  Is there some other way I should be doing this?

• edited August 2020
    Go to the Windows desktop and type in services. When services appears in the upper left hand corner click on it.  Or from the task manager select services and locate VSS and then right click on VSS and select open services.  Then locate VSS and Right click the service and select properties.  Then select startup type and change it from manual to disabled.  At that point on my machine it stays disabled.

• @vbbritt - thank you!  That was extremely helpful.  I was able to keep VSS disabled that way.

@admin - with VSS turned off, I was able to create a back up and check it's image successfully.  I've attached the log files.  Any idea why this allowed it to work?  And, is this a good backup now?

Should I leave VSS off?  If I do, will it cause any issues?  Or, should I turn it on and turn it off again when I go to do an incremental back up?

Thanks
  • Do you have your backup service set to use AOMEI Backup Service or is it still set to use Microsoft VSS?

• edited August 2020
    @vbbritt - no...wasn't aware of that setting in Aomei.  It is now set to user Aomei instead of VSS.  

Should I leave these Task/Services settings to stopped/disabled?

• Spodeworld,

I was just curious about how that option was set.  I would also be curious to find out if you can successfully create a backup with VSS enabled and the use Aomei Backup Service selected instead of Microsoft VSS Service.  Would you mind trying it and letting me know the result?
  • @vbbritt - I turned the VSS service on again in Services with Aomie Backup Service selected instead of MS VSS Service.  The backup failed.  Any idea why this is causing it to fail?
  • edited August 2020
    No I do not.  That is a question that the @admin and the developers will have to answer.  It is my understanding that the System Restore feature uses the VSS service so having it disabled also disables the System Restore feature.

• @admin - after turning off the VSS Service I can do the backup.  Should I leave the service off?  Or, should I turn it back on and turn it off when I do backups?  Any idea why having VSS on causes it to fail?

Thanks
  • @admin - after turning off the VSS Service I can do the backup.  Should I leave the service off?  Or, should I turn it back on and turn it off when I do backups?  Any idea why having VSS on causes it to fail?

Also,  ran Acronis VSS Doctor after turning VSS back on and saw this..

Thanks
  • @Spodeworld, Sorry to reply you late. The error code 33 is a bug on our program. Please temporarily keep the service off. We will optimize the problem asap.
    @Vbbritt, Thanks for your help for the problem.
  • @admin - understood.  Thank you for your help.

@vbbritt - thanks again for your help too!