Home AOMEI Products Support

Restoring Disk Image to a new SSD ?

How do you run AOMEI on a new replacement SSD?

The Disk Restore instructions say to install & launch the AOMEI software. How would I install this on a new SSD since Windows is not yet on the new SSD, and won’t be until I restore the image?

I see that you can make a bootable USB drive in order to boot the target computer. But what good will that do if AOMEI is not yet installed on the computer’s new SSD?

With Windows 7 the original disk could be used to boot & restore an image.

I didn’t see anything about installing & running AOMEI from a USB thumb drive. If that’s what is recommended then why install it on the SDD in the first place?

Obviously I’m not understanding something or am just confusing myself. Any words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• Hi Baffled99,
    You can boot from the original disk, then install and run AOMEI Backupper on the original disk, then restore backup to new SSD.
    Or, you can boot from the original disk, then install and run AOMEI Backupper on the original disk, and then create a WinPE bootable USB/CD. After that, you can connect the new SSD on your computer, and boot the computer from WinPE usb/cd to do the restore.
  • I mentioned Windows 7 just for comparison, however I want to use AOMEI on a Windows 10 PC.

I have Windows 10 on a bootable USB thumb drive which is what I used to install Windows on the PC.

If I create a WinPE bootable USB stick, does that mean AOMEI will be on the same USB stick?

If AOMEI can be run from a USB stick then why install it on the PC's SSD in the first place since that SSD could fail?

• Basically my thought is if AOMEI Backupper can be run from a USB stick in order to restore an SSD image, can it be run from a USB stick to create an image? IOW it would be a portable version for creating & restoring.

From reading a lot of the instructions it appears AOMEI has be installed on a PC in order to create a bootable USB thumb drive in the first place.

The instructions say bootable media can be created on another healthy computer no matter the type of PC. Does that mean different makes or models? Or that bootable media created on a Windows 7 PC will work on a Windows 10 PC?

Thanks

• Hi Baffled99,
    "If I create a WinPE bootable USB stick, does that mean AOMEI will be on the same USB stick?"---When you create WinPE of AOMEI Backupepr to the USB, it will first format the USB drive. So, you can't use the Windows 10 bootable USB thumb drive to create. You need to use an empty USB drive.
    You can boot your computer from WinPE bootable media of AOMEI Backupper to do backup and restore.
    Yes, the bootable media created on a Windows 7 PC can work on a Windows 10 PC.
  • Thank you for all the information.

OK, so I can boot my computer from the WinPE bootable media of AOMEI Backupper in order to create a backup image. If the computer is already on & running, can I use this USB thumb drive media to create a backup image? IOW use the USB stick as a portable drive & run AOMEI Backupper from it? Is that even a practical way to create disk images?

The Linux based version of a bootable media USB says it’s a “functionally restricted rescue media”. What is restricted?

I see there is also a AOMEI PE Builder bootable media. What is the advantage of using that?

Thanks again

• The WinPE bootable media of AOMEI Backupper will boot your computer into Windows PE. So, the windows isn't running when you boot into WinPE. If the computer is already on & running, you can directly install and run AOMEI Backupper under windows to do backup. 
    If you want to boot into windows and then run AOMEI Backupper from a USB stick, you can use the portable version of AOMEI Backupper (only tech plus supports the feature). You can install AOMEI Backupper tech plus on a computer, and then copy the installation directory of AOMEI  Backupper tech plus to the USB. After that, you can connect the USB to another computer, and then run the program from USB drive without installing.
    The Linux bootable media only supports restore and clone features.
    AOMEI PE Builder is a PE tool, which supports create WinPE. And, it can integrate other programs to WinPE. For example, it can integrate AOMEI Backupper and AOMEI Partition Assistant to the same PE.

• Baffled99,  The linux version of the rescue media only has the basic restore and clone options.  That is what the functionality restricted means.