Home AOMEI Products Support

Restore System Backup to entire disk

I'm building a new computer so I'd though I check out (and verify) that my backups and the backup process actually works.

So I created a System Backup and a recovery USB on my original system. I connected an old, used, disk to the new system to (practice) restore to.

Booting into the USB on the new system started Backupper. I started a restore task with my System Backup selected.

In the step not shown in the FAQ, where you select the target for the restore, it was only possible to select partitions. As I'm restoring a complete system from another computer/disk, wouldn't selecting a drive be more sensible? The drive I'm targeting already has partitions, but I want to restore the complete system on that disk, not in one of those partitions.

When I select one of the partitions on that drive the restore operations shows that it wants to map all partitions in my system backup into that partition. That's not what I want.

Do I need to erase that disk first?

Also the "Restore in a different location" checkbox doesn't make much sense when doing a system restore. Or does it?

(Backupper Professional 5.6.0)

Tagged:

Comments

• edited February 2020
    It would be best to use a clean disk. Follow the directions below. Use the procedure for your type drive; MBR use the first set or for GPT, use the second set of instructions. You can enter diskpart from the command prompt after booting from the Aomei recovery USB.

You can simply use diskpart:

2TB drives and smaller: (or MBR drive)
    1. Open the Start Menu, type diskpart, press Enter
    2. Type list disk, press Enter
    3. Type select disk X (where X is the number your drive shows up as), press Enter
    4. Type clean, press Enter
    5. Type create partition primary, press Enter
    6. Type format quick fs=ntfs, press Enter
    7. Type assign, press Enter
    8. Type exit, press Enter

2.5TB drives and larger: (or any GPT drive)
    1. Open the Start Menu, type diskpart, press Enter
    2. Type list disk, press Enter
    3. Type select disk X (where X is the number your drive shows up as), press Enter
    4. Type clean, press Enter
    5. Type convert gpt, press Enter
    6. Type create partition primary, press Enter
    7. Type format quick fs=ntfs, press Enter
    8. Type assign, press Enter
    9. Type exit, press Enter

• I'm familiar with partitioning, but many thanks for the detailed info!

If you boot from the recovery USB you will end up in the Backupper UI, and the Windows shell is under Tools (just over the backup list near the right side.

I was thinking that it would be a "natural" option when you restore a Systems Backup to wipe the disk and restore onto that disk. So AOMEItech might want to consider this a suggestion for improvement ;-)

• We will improve this function, many thanks for your feedback.
  • It's 2023 now, and this is still not fixed.

On the destination page, it needs to select a DISK.  There is nowhere to select an entire disk as a destination, as the original poster stated.
    Furthermore, when we choose to wipe the disk, it doesn't remove the partitions.  It only formats an existing partition?  This is crazy.  You need to fix this immediately.  I'm getting extremely angry right now, trying to recover my disk and I don't have time for this nonsense.
  • edited September 2023
    Very disappointing first experience trying to restore an image for the first time ever.  Making the images are easy.  Restoring the images are a complete disaster.
  • I'm sorry I got upset and was being rude - it was so frustrating, I can't tell you...2 hours, but I finally got it restored.

Let me rephrase by politely asking AOMEI to do the following:

In the tools section, for the disk wipe function, it needs to have the option to delete the partitions entirely, rather than just zero out existing partitions.  Because then we have to also open the command prompt and run diskpart manually, then I had to reboot the computer to get Backupper to recognize the changes I had made to the disk (there was no refresh button in that particular window).

Second, on the drive restore window, make each disk selectable as the destination - that way, no matter what the disk already had on it before, it will be erased completely and the recovery image's partitions will be put in place, as is done on other disk imaging software.  This saves the step of having to manually clean the disk ourselves.

Lastly, the browsing images function will not let us into the Win10 user profile folder in the backup - it gives a permission error, as you know.  Acronis True Image seems to get around the limitation, as we are able to see browse inside images in the user folders without access errors, so I'm hoping that AOMEI is able to get around this as well.

Anyway, the OP was polite and I was rude so my apologies, and thank you for your efforts.  :-)
  • @Yeahimsteve, We have submitted your suggestion to our dev team.