Home AOMEI Products Support

Full Backup Scheme Not Deleting Previous Backups

I am running a daily backup on Windows 10 backing up to an external USB drive.  The drive has room for three backups with room to spare.  I have set the number of backups to retain at 2, but the software is not deleting old backups at all.  As long as there is space on the drive, the backup runs successfully.  I currently have three backups on the drive, and if it runs tonight it will fail due to lack of space unless I manually delete the oldest backup.

Comments

• Did you tick the option "Create a full backup and always retain it before performing the scheme"?
  • I've tried it with and without the option ticked.
  • Please create a new task without that option ticked.
  • I created a new backup task without the option checked.  I selected to retain two backups.  I now have three backups on my external drive.  The retain backups function is not working correctly.
  • Please backup to a local drive to test the issue.
  • It worked correctly when I back up to a local folder if I unchecked the Create a full backup and always retain it before performing the scheme.  However, when I tried it with that checkbox checked, and set it to retain two backups, here's what happened...

The first backup was called My File Backup.afi
    The second was called My File Backup1.afi
    The third was called My File Backup2.afi.
    When I ran the backup the fourth time, it created a file called My File Backup3.afi, and deleted the file called My File Backup1.afi.  It left the oldest backup file called My File Backup.afi.  It seems to be only looking at files that have a number at the end of the file name when it decides which backup file to delete.
  • It left the oldest backup file called My File Backup.afi.
    -- That's the right procedure because you tick that option.