Home Suggestions and Feedbacks

AMBackup.exe giving Qt error

My idea is to manage backups through a batch file, which opens and closes drives (to defeat ransomware), and in between to do the backups. Everything works just fine, except that when I run AMBackup, I get an error
   Qt: Untested Windows version 6.2 detected!
   AOMEI Backupper Command Line Prompt
   Copyright (c) 2009-2019 AOMEI Tech.
which flashes up for maybe a second, and then quits.

Details: Windows 10 Home, AOMEI Backupper Pro, v5.0,
Calling code %_AOMEI% /b new /t system /d %BU_LOCS% /n %BUNAMS%
which unpacks as:
   _AOMEI="C:\Program Files (x86)\AOMEI Backupper\AMBackup.exe"
   _BULOCS=W:\AOMEI\MyPC_Set-A_System
   _BUNAMS=AOMEI_MyPC_Set-A_System

I have backed up into this drive many times using the GUI without problems;
Log is attached

Comments

• Did the program backup normal after the Qt error?
  • No.
    As I said, the command screen flashed up for maybe a second (during which time I quickly took a screenshot), then disappeared. I watched the Task Manager for signs that something was happening, but if it was, it came and went too quickly for me to spot it. I also watched the destination folder, once again without any sign of life. For all that I could see, the Qt notice was the program's kiss of death
  • Can you show me the batch file?
  • Herewith bat file. The file is most definitely a work in progress. Error routines are unfinished, and the main body is sprinkled with echos for debugging. But everything except the AMBackup works just fine.
  • OK, what if you run AMBackup separately?
  • Ran AmBackup.exe in command line window (call it 'window #1). This created a new command window as before (window #2) with the qt announcement described earlier, plus a statement that 'Another instance was running'. Then #2 window closed, leaving only the original window. No backup was done.

I then checked Task Manager, which revealed that the Backup_Task.bat I sent you earler was running. It had been set to run earlier in the day (about 6 hours before), and, although it had not done any backups, ABService.exe was still running (see jpg). I then stopped ABService and the Scheduler Service, and ran AMBackup again, this time with success.

ABService definitely runs from command line, provided there are no other AOMEI-associated services running.

I then deleted anything that I could find that might be associated with AOMEI services - My scheduled task, and all AOMEI backup setups. I also made sure that there were no AOME-related services running, and then ran my script again. Once again, no backups were created, but the AOMEI scheduled service returned.

The point of this exercise, incidentally, is to be able to do a series of backups, of the service and required hard disks, all at once. So far, this seems impossible.
  • edited August 2019
    'Another instance was running' -- I think Backupper GUI was running?
  • Absolutely not. Backupper GUI was not running  - not unless it had set itself running without asking my - or UAC - permission!

On my PC, both Backupper GUI, and AMBackup ask for UAC permission, which tends to make it rather obvious when something is about to happen. If I carefully shut down the Backupper GUI app, and then stop all AOMEI-related services, and only then run my script, I get no backups, but do get a 'AOMEI Backupper scheduler service' running. I have absolutely no idea where that scheduler serive comes from. Further, the GUI gives no clue (see image).

• BTW, I have tried this: I wrote a script to (1) taskkill Backupper.exe; (2) taskkill AMBackup.exe; (3) taskkill ABService, then (4) do the backup with AMBackup. Task #3 failed as 'access was denied'. Task #4 also failed, but without explanation.

The attached file shows properties of the scheduler service.
  • Ran AmBackup.exe in command line window (call it 'window #1). This created a new command window as before (window #2) with the qt announcement described earlier, plus a statement that 'Another instance was running'. Then #2window closed, leaving only the original window. No backup was done.

-- Can you capture a screenshot of the command window?
  • Attached is a video of desktop during running of the bat file.I hope you can find something useful in it.
  • Well, I don't see any attachments?
  • Sorry. I added the file, but I pressed the 'post' button too quickly. :(
  • edited August 2019
    OK, what I meant was, running a simple backup in the command line to see the result, like this: