Home AOMEI Products Support

Backupper "portable" and 64bit PE files

I like Aomei Backupper a lot, thanks for this great program.

I like to run it on my own custom PE, if I put the service settings in boot.wim beforehand, and add AmCore.dll to the program files, the program almost runs like a "portable app". Of course, most other disk imagers are portable as well, so there's no reason Aomei couldn't be portable, too.

I have even "discovered" a way to make the *32* bit program files *fully* portable. For this, on an unmodified, standard PE, I copy 3 files to "windows\system32" (ambakdrv.sys, amwrtdrv.sys, ammntdrv.sys), then start "loaddrv.exe". After this, I can run Backupper.exe and it runs perfectly. This works in 32bit and 64bit PE (both use different sys and loaddrv files, obviously). I would like this opportunity to request once again that the "AmCore.dll" dependency be removed, why does a free product check for a license? But that is not the real issue of this question.

My main question is: How can I use the *64* bit Aomei program files (located in the WinPE64 subfolder), using the same method described above? I have this tested and working by using the "builder script" method (that is: insert the sys files "offline" into boot.wim and set the service entries in the registry). Again, using this method the 64bit program files are working fine.

I would, however, like to know why the "on demand" method describe above, doesn't work with the **64bit program files**. Here's what I've tried:

[A] (1) Boot a clean 64bit PE (2) Copy the 3 64bit sys files to Windows\system32 (3) Run the 64bit Loaddrv.exe --> Backupper will run, but can't backup dus to driver error.

[B] (1) Boot a clean 64bit PE (2) Copy 3 64bit sys files (3) Set the service settings by hand:

Reg.exe add "HKLM\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Class\{71a27cdd-812a-11d0-bec7-08002be2092f}" /v "UpperFilters" /t REG_MULTI_SZ /d "ambakdrv" /f
Reg.exe add "HKLM\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\ambakdrv" /v "DisplayName" /t REG_SZ /d "ambakdrv" /f
Reg.exe add "HKLM\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\ambakdrv" /v "ErrorControl" /t REG_DWORD /d "0" /f
Reg.exe add "HKLM\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\ambakdrv" /v "ImagePath" /t REG_EXPAND_SZ /d "\??\X:\windows\system32\ambakdrv.sys" /f
Reg.exe add "HKLM\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\ambakdrv" /v "Start" /t REG_DWORD /d "2" /f
Reg.exe add "HKLM\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\ambakdrv" /v "Type" /t REG_DWORD /d "1" /f

sc create ambakdrv  type= kernel start= auto binpath= "system32\ambakdrv.sys"
net start ambakdrv

This doesn't work either. Can you please look in to this matter and tell us how we can use the 64bit program files in a "clean" 64bit PE. The method works fine for 32bit program files, so I think it could work. The 64bit program files are there for a reason, aren't they? So why not explain how to use them in this (portable/ on demenad) manner. Also, please remove the AmCore.dll dependency. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Hi atari800xl,

I must say there are problems indeedly with Backupper if you want to run it in a third-party 64-bit WinPE, currently there are many relatively complicated operations needed to do if you want to add Backupper to WinPE yourself maunally.  We will release a PE edition of Backupper in the future.

The file AmCore.dll, we will modify it in future versions, please keep an eye on our updates. Thank you very much for your attention to our Backupper.

• Thank you very much for your reply. It would be great if you could make Aomei Backupper more "portable", and remove the unnecessary license checks in the free version.

I'm looking forward to the new "PE-friendly" version!

• I have a similar scenario having a custom Win7PE 32-bit build complied with Winbuilder and using a
    clean (i.e. standard Microsoft not Dell, HP etc) Win7 SP1 source which I
    would like to add Backupper to.

I found this

I have even "discovered" a way to make the *32* bit program files
    *fully* portable. For this, on an unmodified, standard PE, I copy 3
    files to "windows\system32" (ambakdrv.sys, amwrtdrv.sys, ammntdrv.sys),
    then start "loaddrv.exe". After this, I can run Backupper.exe and it
    runs perfectly.

Noting the date post date was over 2 years ago this must have been with a much older version of Backupper. I have tried the same with backupper 4.0.2 but so far can not get it to run. The front end load but once it tries to create the backup falls over with the 4140 ' backup driver works improperly ' message.

I created my file set from a Backupper created PE. To generate this I Used a Dell Windows 7 32 bit machine just with the installation as supplied i.e. I restored the factory image. I installed Backupper 4.0.2 then built the PE from within that. This PE runs.

I have copied the Backupper folder from the expanded WIM file and added the drivers\i386 files.

For the desktop icon I created this batch file based on the winPEshl.ini file

copy driver\i386\*.* x:\windows\system32

PeLoadDrv.exe

Start Backupper.exe

I have checked that the driver files have copied to x:\windows\system32.

Any pointers as to what I am missing to get this to work will be appreciated.

• The AOMEI Backupper support the portable version now, but you need to get the Tech or Tech plus version. For other version you cannot use it.

• I will have to say there are actually difficulties indeedly with Backupper for those who would like to run it within a third-party with essentialpim pro 64-bit WinPE, currently there are several comparatively complicated operations needed to perform when you want to add Backupper to WinPE oneself maunally. We are going to release a PE edition of Backupper within the future.

• Here running the Tech Plus version, so how to get or run as a portable?
  • @MrX  Please copy the installation directory of AOMEI Backupper to another location and you can use it directly.
  • MrXMrX
    edited August 2019
    @admin

Thank you. I got it.

However I think I can manage without some files and folder, maybe I'm wrong. You know, the whole AOMEI Backupper folder measures around 500 MB and I want to reduce its size if possible.

So in order to make Backup and Restore operations only from a self made WinPE (not AOMEI WinPE), which folders and files I can delete to reduce total size?

This is a full list so please enlist the needed ones.

AOMEI Image Deploy\
    bios\
    driver\
    html\
    Image\
    lang\
    log\
    imageformats\
    msbios\
    msefi64\
    plugins\
    vss\
    Winpe64\

2Gpt_BCD
    2Mbr_BCD
    ABCore.exe
    ABEventBackup.exe
    ABRegister.exe
    ABRequestDlg.exe
    ABSchedhlp.exe
    ABService.exe
    ABSpawn.exe
    Abspawnhlp.exe
    ABSync.exe
    ABUserPass.exe
    adi.ico
    AMBackup.exe
    AmCore.dll
    amldr
    amldr.mbr
    amlnx.iso
    ammcauth.dll
    Amnet.dll
    Amservice.dll
    awsSns.dll
    Backup.dll
    Backupper.exe
    BackupRecovery.ini
    botva2.dll
    BrFat.dll
    BrLog.dll
    BrNtfs.dll
    BrVol.dll
    CallbackCtrl.dll
    cfg.ini
    Clone.dll
    Color.xml
    Comn.dll
    Compress.dll
    Config.dat
    CrashDumpper.dll
    Dev.dat
    Device.dll
    DeviceMgr.dll
    DiskMgr.dll
    Download.dll
    Encrypt.dll
    EnumFolder.dll
    FlBackup.dll
    FuncLogic.dll
    GptBcd.dll
    ImgFile.dll
    Ldm.dll
    LHBase.dll
    lib7zg.dll
    libamcbconsole.dll
    libamcbdb.dll
    libamct.dll
    libcrypto-1_1.dll
    libcurl.dll
    libeay32.dll
    libssl-1_1.dll
    LoadDrv.exe
    MakeDisc.exe
    MakeIso.dll
    MakePeLogic.dll
    mfc80.dll
    mfc80u.dll
    mfcm80.dll
    mfcm80u.dll
    Microsoft.VC80.CRT.manifest
    Microsoft.VC80.MFC.manifest
    Microsoft.VC80.OpenMP.manifest
    Microsoft.VC90.CRT.manifest
    msvcm80.dll
    msvcm90.dll
    msvcp80.dll
    msvcp90.dll
    msvcr80.dll
    msvcr90.dll
    NASSql.dll
    NotDPIAware.dll
    NTHelp.dll
    NTLog.dll
    NTLogic.dll
    NTSQLite.dll
    other.ini
    PE.dll
    PeLoadDrv.exe
    PxeUi.exe
    QtCore4.dll
    QtGui4.dll
    QtNetwork4.dll
    QtWebKit4.dll
    QtXml4.dll
    regex2.dll
    RemoveBackupper.exe
    SendFeedback.exe
    ShortcutTaskAgent.exe
    ShowPage.exe
    sqlite3.dll
    ssleay32.dll
    Sync.dll
    TFTP.dll
    TipInfo.exe
    UiLogic.dll
    unins000.dat
    unins000.exe
    UsbDetect.dll
    UserManual.pdf
    ValidCheck.exe
    vcomp.dll
    Version.ini
    vsscom.exe
    wimgapi.dll
    winpeshl.ini
  • I'm afraid the portable version won't work on custom WinPE, you'll need to modify the Registry.
  • Alright, but could you please list the needed files and folders I asked above?
  • Sorry, even if you copy the files needed to the WinPE, it won't work either, so what's the point of doing this?
  • Just forget about WinPE, I got it. It won't work as you already stated.

I'm asking about the essential folders and files as I said above, in order to reduce the total size of AOMEI Backupper folder which is around 500 MB right now.

I want to put such AOMEI Backupper folder in a pendrive, USB drive, etc.
  • AOMEI Image Deploy folder is not necessary.
  • K, thank you.