Home Suggestions and Feedbacks

Ransomware protection by connecting and disconnecting the backup drive

To protect from ransomware, it seems desirable to make a backup to an external drive and then disconnect the drive from the system.  However, if you have a scheduled backup, you need to remember to attach the drive before the schedule backup and disconnect it afterwards.  I suggest providing an automated reminder from the computer reminding you to connect the drive and then after the backup, reminding you to disconnect.

Of course, even better would be some way of automatically connecting and disconnecting. 

Comments

• Thank you for the suggestion.
  • This was suggested several times (like here).
    Pre Backup and Post Backup .cmd or .bat support should be easy to implement and it would protect from ransomware that scans for connected drives to lock them.

Having a scheduled backup task that first runs VeraCrypt to open a disk and assigns a drive letter, than backs up into that drive and after that runs a disconnect-task would be my favorite way to back up.
    I have no idea why this feature is ignored for so long.

• And how cool is that :) One day after posting this, v5 comes out with this feature. Thumbs up!
  • Cool.. but is not working. I use a .bat file in Post-command to shutdown the pc after the job is finished.
    In Test is working, but after the job is done, nothing is happening..
  • @testerics Can you show me your settings?
  • i need to do the same exact task for the same exact reason
    is there a doc sheet on this anywhere on the aomei site beside some obscure forum that no one can find
    one more thing, the auto disconnect method is exactly what i am looking for; for ransomware.  but this doesn't help if there's a fire or theft.  do you know how i can automatically put the external drive in my fireproof safe

• @hmazuji Backupper can't auto disconnect external drives at present.
  • If Aomei will find a solution to protect the backups from ransomware attacks, it will "force" a lot of users to pass from FREE edition to PROFESSIONAL!!