Home Storage General Discussion

Questions about GPT HDD

Hello. I have question about GPT hdd.
Couple months ago I bought brand new 3tb hdd from Seagate, just for storage, not the system. Plugged it in properly but my Windows 7 recognized it like MBR partition with just 2tb and plenty unallocated mb.
I succesfully converted my clean new HDD to GPT using AOMEI Partition Assistant Standard Edition 7.0.

But now I need to upgrade my Windows 7 to Windows 10.
I plan to install the new OS on my new Intel SSD, not the 3tb Seagate drive.

The question is

Do my 3tb Seagate will work on Win 10 just like it working now on Win 7?
Without data losing?

It will be GPT just like it is now or I will have to convert it again somehow?

I'm asking because I have very important files on that drive and I don't want to lose them! 

Tagged:

Comments

• It should be fine. If you have multiple drives, they can be a mix of MBR and GPT. One is not reliant on the other.
    I'm assuming that your current system has your OS on a MBR drive and your Seagate is working fine. That would be the same when you upgrade to Win 10. If you're doing a clean install of WIn 10 you can also format that as GPT if you want but again, it won't do anything to affect the Seagate drive.
  • It depends on your computer whether it is possibile to boot from a GPT disk. If it was originally Win7 it is most likely that it boots only from MBR disks since the BIOS does not support UEFI. GPT boots only in UEFI. MBR boots only in traditional BIOS. The option to boot from GPT / UEFI is introduced together with Win8.
    Data disks however, just as Flyer wrote, can be used as GPT since XP 64 bit and Win7 32 bit. 
  • edited March 2019

Yes my current system drive is MBR. Seagate 3tb is GPT, a side drive for "junk" files.

So in sum, my Seagate HDD which was converted to GPT on Win 7 will work normally / correctly on Windows 10 and I will not have to convert it to GPT again? It will be 3tb from the start just like on Windows 7, right?

I know this can be stupid questions, but I'm not an expert when it comes to drives. I want to be 100% sure.

Thanks for the help :)

• Yes it will be and look the same.