Home AOMEI Products Support

Dual Windows 10

I have 2 Windows 10x64's    installed on two different drives. Is there a way to set it up so you can't see other drives on the other windows 10. I believe if you hide them...windows can't boot into the other OS if you want to change. Its just so I don't get confused and screw something up. Its like ifI boot into one OS, it doesn't see the other? Trying not to hide or change drive letters every time I change OS.

Maybe asking two much..
Thanks,
Bob M.

Comments

• edited January 2019
    I'm assuming you have your system set up for a dual boot? Is there any reason to have both drives connected and/or powered at the same time? If you don't change from one system to another too frequently maybe pulling the data or power plug from one drive would help your situation? That would end any confusion as to what's running and make it impossible to screw anything up on the other drive if that's your goal.
  • edited January 2019
    Two different physical drives? Two OS's  can also be installed on the same HDD/SSD in different partitions.
    If you have two physical drives connected there must only be one bootable, that is with an active boot sector and system partition. If both are bootable by it self you get a check disk question on each startup.

With a dual boot menu it is easy to select the OS which you want to start. It doesn't matter if the second OS is on the same disk or on a separate (data) disk. Both will use the same boot sector and system partition.

But to answer your question: In Windows disk management you can delete drive letters from partitions you don't want to see. In Aomei Partition Assistant too. 

• If I am seeing the second windows 10 primary, etc from say the first..Windows 10; are you saying I can delete the partition from the windows i am using and it actually won't delete that partition when I boot into the other system.?  The main hard drive is called CAROLINAONE and the second hard drive is CAROLINAFSX. It just keeps me from screwing up stuff...
    Damn..hope I am making sense? I have aoemi on both systems. Using two entirely different hard drives for two different flight simulators..
    BTW..if you haven't guessed, I am a Carolina fan ..lol  :)
    Bestest
  • edited January 2019
    I have no idea what you are trying to do or are afraid of screwing up???? When you are in one OS why would you confuse it with the second and what are you doing that would screw up the other OS? I'll let @JohnnyboyGo help you. He may understand your problem. I don't. Sorry.
  • I think what I really want is not to be able to see the other partitions while I am in say the second OS.. I just was in the second OS and  used aoemi to resize a partition on the first OS and it worked so what I don't want to do is mess up stuff on the first because I can see them and still access them. Hope you see what I mean?
    Bestest Regards,
    Bob M.
  • Ok, one more shot at this. If you have 2 separate drives and can boot from either, just unplug the one you're not using. If this is not your situation, I'm lost.
  • Its like I want two machines in one. Kinda hard to reach into case and unplug one or the other every time I want to use another OS.
  • If I  want to hide a partition so I don't see it on the second..which I just did on the first from the second one..it hide it but when I boot into first..the partition is hide and I would have to reassign a letter to it every time..make sense...Maybe I am asking the impossible.
  • Thank you Flyer for all your help...really appreciated :)
  • Sorry I couldn't help. Not sure what this has to do with Aomei so you might get a better answer if you go to a Microsoft forum.
  • edited January 2019
    I would say in Windows A, you unassign (delete) the current drive letters related to Windows B and vice versa.
    https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/107032-remove-drive-letter-windows-10-a.html

That way you don't alter anything, only make them invisible in the other Windows.

B.T.W. You do have already have a dual boot menu? If not create one with the free EasyBCD from Neosmart.net. Install that in the first Windows and add a menu entry. That is the other Windows. Drive letters have to be visible at that moment. You can delete the letter(s) afterward.
  •  Ok in Windows A which is the original (CarolinaOne), I would unassign (not hide) the drive letters for the ones I am seeing on Windows B?  Then go into Windows B and unassign, (not hide) the drive letters for Windows A? So the drive letters already assigned in either Windows A and Windows B would remain intact? I have probably 5 ssd's I am using for all of this. Sounds crazy I know :)

I am using the blue (sometimes the default Black screen shows up to select which operating system. So you recommend EasyBCD installed on Windows A to use for both Windows A/B to Boot from. 

In the Bios. I have the latest UEFI Bios for i7-7770K and Asus Board. Disable SecureBoot and use UEFI and Legacy or what to get EasyBCD to work right?

Thank you for all your help..you are gratefully appreciated JohnnyboyGo!!!
    BobM.
  • edited January 2019
    EasyBCD will always work. On BIOS legacy and on UEFI. Don't be concerned about the warning that some EFI options are disabled. All you need actually works fine.

You can install EasyBCD in every Windows if you like. Doesn't matter, they all use the same System partition and same data.

I suggest to uncheck Use Metro Bootloader in Edit boot menu.
    Disable Fast Start up in every Windows 10 or 8 Power Options. This assures that the fast black and white boot menu is always displayed.
    https://lifehacker.com/enable-this-setting-to-make-windows-10-boot-up-faster-1743697169

You can also install iReboot (also free from NeoSmart.net) to quickly go from one Windows to another without interacting with the bootmenu. Install it in every Windows where you want to use that quick reboot function.

• Thanks, will give it a looksy...Have a great day JohnnyboyGo :)

Bob M.
  • Update: I think I realized maybe what I did.. I used Rufus to write the Windows iso..using gpart on the other machine when I installed the second Windows 10. . On this one. I used the UEFI on both Windows on this machine. I hide all the partitions on the first since I have probably 3 or 4 hard drives. I did notice that if I hide the Second Windows 10 partition (say D) then I can't boot into the other OS. Just using the "blue window" and not easybcd yet. If i put EasyBCD on both Windows 10 on this machine and if I still hide the second OS, (D) will it boot?

One more thang..(southern).. On the other machine.. can I use Aoemi Partition and change the second Windows 10 to MBR or do I need to reinstall the second OS again?

Will I gain anythang by using Partiton Assistant Pro over Standard?

Warmest and bestest !!
    Bob M.

• edited January 2019
    This is only about the use of PA. You need the Pro version for GPT to MBR function. See differences here: https://www.aomeitech.com/pa/comparison.html
    I've done multiple tests on my testbed PC for MBR to GPT or reverse. I've had no problem with MBR to GPT but had a harder time getting GPT to MBR to work (maybe because most people would want MBR to GPT??). Not sure why but would advise having a backup image before attempting. For MBR to GPT, I started IN Windows to set up the conversion. When I hit "apply", I was told the PC would reboot into a WinPE to finish the conversion. It did so automatically and completed the task successfully and quickly.
  • Thanks Flyer...guess, at least for now..using GPT on the 1st machine.....Dual Windows 10x64 Pro.

Have a great day :)
    Bob M.
  • Just curious..I have AOEMI PA Pro and in the wizard to make a bootable media....it fails to create a iso image? I have the win7 aik and the new windows 10 add-on but maybe the wrong "wim"...just wondering..

Bob M.
  • edited January 2019
    I just tried creating the ISO in my Win10 PC and it did so without a problem. I just let it create the ISO without telling it anything else so I'm not sure what files are missing in your PC. Maybe an admin will have a better understanding what you need.
    Did you try to just create it straight to a USB and attempt to boot from it? That may be all you have to do. ie, use the second option and not the third (create iso).