Home AOMEI Products Support

Restore documents folder to new pc

Hi, I recently lost my laptop but luckily I have an Aomei system backup of the Windows 10 machine on an external drive. I bought a new laptop and want to restore the Documents directory to the new hardware. I have successfully used the Explore utility to look at  the System Backup and mount the OS partition to the new PC but, although it appears in File Explorer I cannot copy the Documents folder to the new PC, I think because I don't have rights. I have granted read/write rights to the Everyone group but this hasn't resolved the problem. I have installed the Q-Dir program as advised by Aomei but this made no difference. I considered restoring the system backup to a third PC, but Aomei hung when I tried to the Restore To a Different Location option. I simply want to recover to recover the Documents folder to my new PC; any help on achieving this would be great. Thanks in advance for your help.   

Comments

• edited October 2018
    Run q-dir.exe as administrator (right click) and try again.
  • I deleted q-dir and reinstalled checking the 'install as administrator' box and my documents data magically re-appeared. I previously tried changing ownership of the USER/my username directory, but Filer still showed it as zero bytes. I wonder how q-dir works, as it appears to bypass the acls completely ? Anyway, problem fixed, lesson learnt, thanks very much JohnnyboyGo for your help.
  • Glad I could help Tony.
    Q-dir is not the only explorer to bypass, in fact Windows Explorer is the only explorer that denies access. Even the select file in Aomei's file backup grants you access. So does the Dos-prompt Cmd.exe etc.
    Sometimes, but not in every version combination of running Windows and exploring images, run as administrator is needed.