Home AOMEI Products Support

Which version makes a truly bootable cloned drive?

Sorry, but I was not able to find an answer to that question via a search.  Acronis cloning allowed you to clone a disk that when installed in place of a C:\ drive, the system would boot automatically.

The comparisons I have seen regarding how this works between versions is not clear on that point.

Thanks

Comments

• edited October 2018
    Boot automatically? No a disk clone or system clone or disk backup and restore or system backup and restore will boot only when pressed on the on/off button or if your laptop is set up that way by opening the lid. So it's all the same as the original disk.
  • Sorry, my use of the term "automatically" lacked context.  In my mind, a clone should be capable of being swapped (off line/power off) with the system drive that it was cloned from.  IE, the original drive removed from the system and the clone plugged in and voila, a working system with a clone of the system drive now being the system drive.

My original question still begs an answer.

Thanks again...

• System Clone is paid version. Disk Clone on all versions of Aomei and every cloned disk is bootable.

System Clone is supported by the Linux PE media. Yes, your disk will start automatically, but remove the original disk and place the clone.
  • When you say "Disk Clone on all versions of Aomei and every cloned disk is bootable.", I'm having difficulty with that when comparing the properties of the disk clone to the original C:\ drive.

The clone drive has 24GB less than the C:\ drive and the Windows folder is missing 7000+- files.

Is there any documentation on the differences between "Disk Clone" and "System Clone"?

• After doing some additional searching, I ran into this thread:

https://www.aomeitech.com/forum/discussion/1045/difference-between-disk-clone-and-system-clone

Unfortunately, that thread ended with the same question I'm asking not being answered.

• I had previously read that info and still came away confused.  Here's what the "Disk Clone" says: "third party software which aims at system, partition/volume, disk as well as file/folder backup and restore.".

And here's what the "System Clone" says: "will clone entire operating system including system reserved partition and hidden related partitions to the target place."

The only inference I can make from those two statements is that the "System Clone" doesn't do apps/docs???

What I have not been able to figure out is why my "Disk Clone" test drive is short 24GB as I mentioned above.

• edited October 2018
    Pagefile, Hibernate file and HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\BackupRestore\FilesNotToSnapshot

system=system + c partition
    disk = system + c partition + any other data partition on that disk.

no other data partitions? --> system = disk ergo disk = system
    further: system restore does not wipe the whole disk, disk restore always does.
  • Where is the documentation for that?

• An Aomei SYSTEM clone will only clone the C partition and those that are necessary to make the drive bootable. An Aomei DISK clone should clone the C partition, those necessary to make the drive bootable AND any other partitions that are on the drive. You just added the part about missing files and size to the post this morning. Exactly what is missing? Data files? Programs? Your trash can files? Installation files? Duplicate files? Your factory recovery partition? (not needed) Does your system still work? If I remember correctly, there are certain unnecessary files that aren't cloned. Maybe the admin or JohnnyboyGo can verify that. But again, is your PC working?
  • Not going to the trouble to find exactly which files are missing and whether or not the cloned drive boots, I'll wait until I see the documentation.

The good news is that my c:\ drive is healthy and working properly.

My experience with Cloned drives is they contain a true/total image of the source drive and that does not appear to be the case here??

• edited October 2018
    I found this quote in a thread from March. I doubt if it will satisfy you but it "may be" what is accounting for your missing 24Gb...... From the admin.... "Unlike .ost files, the SoftwareDistribution folder is more like a Windows function, not real user files. Yes, AOMEI Backupper excludes it because Microsoft VSS excludes it too. This problem can't be solved unless we develop a new snapshot technology." This may not be the answer for your situation. I'm just trying to help. I'm not an expert but solving some problems sometimes requires a little user assistance. Try booting from the clone and see what happens. Then see if that folder is empty. Or check it before swapping drives. Easy to see right away if it's 24Gb in size.
  • Will shut down my PC here this afternoon and plug the eSata drive into a test machine and see if it boots.

Did try to find the missing files and found some folders but no specific files. The hibernate file came across, but the pagefile.sys (8GB) did not.

The SoftwareDistribution folder itself transferred, but that folder accounts for 6808 of the missing 7000+ files.

That helps, but C:\users lost 72 folders and 539 files???  Someone who has all the answers should really chime in here.  Sent a link to this thread to support for some input.

Thanks for the help...

• Here's is the response from support - appears that there is no documentation or that the respondent missed the point entirely, or???

Thank you so much for contacting us.

You can use AOMEI Backupper to do system/disk clone.

If you are using windows PC system on your computer, you can use AOMEI Backupper pro to do clone.

We can't confirm that the clone drive will be bootable 100%. If you encounter any problem during clone, we will help you to solve.

If you have any other questions or suggestions, please feel free to contact us back.

Best Regards,
    Megan
    AOMEI Support Team
    www.aomeitech.com

On Sun, Oct 14 at 12:09 AM ,  wrote:
    Have started a thread on this and need some admin input before I buy the upgrade.
    Here is the link to the thread:
  • Did try the cloned drive on a spare pc (exactly the same) and it did boot, but was really slow getting to the desktop.  Didn't do much with it as I need to get to the bottom of the missing files.

What is the procedure to clone a drive from a CD/USB?  Maybe that's the answer for making a complete clone (read that as no missing files)?

Thanks...

• Just attempted to make a bootable Windows PE CD/DVD and there is no indication that you can make a clone via that process.  My experience in this situation is that making a clone from a Windows app while Windows is running; the results will be missing data/files...
  • edited October 2018
    If you boot into that CD/DVD, the clone function is there and will perform the clone in a pre windows environment. I have no idea whether that will give you the results you're looking for. RE the slow boot: it may have been the same build as your present PC but it does have a different motherboard and that could present slower boot times until it's reset for that system.

Just a suggestion. I used to use Norton Ghost 15 which in my opinion was one of the best backup programs in its day. It was discontinued after Win 7. I still read the forums there and a lot of former users have moved on to Macrium Reflect Free version (google it) for their backup needs. It's one of the most recommended programs for backups and cloning. It is more complicated to use than Aomei but has more options. Maybe that's what you're looking for. 
  • It has no indication because it is the same thing as having the program installed.
  • Have decided to upgrade my Acronis True Image.  Cloned 200GB drive (1TB size) to various hard drives, even a 5300rpm laptop drives, and it took less that one half hour.  Standard version took 6 hours for the same 200GB and the image was as close as anyone could expect.

Sorry it didn't work out.

• BTW, support was not even close to being useful.