Home AOMEI Products Support

What is the step-by-step procedure for restoring a failed C-drive with AOMEI Backupper Standard?

Hi.  I am new to AOMEI Backupper.  I have been using it for a few months, backing up my C-drive (system image).  Do I need to do anything else other than this to make sure I can restore a failed C-drive or crash?  Thanks.

Comments

• edited September 2018
    Go here to read how to use Backupper: https://www.backup-utility.com/help/ 
    Then go here to see how to do a SYSTEM RESTORE: https://www.backup-utility.com/help/system-restore.html 
    The 2 things I would highly recommend:
    1. After you make the WinPE bootable media, try it to see it you can boot into Aomei with it.
    2. Do a test restore to a spare HHD/SSD to be sure it works.
    Making all the backups in the world may not help on the day you need them if you don't test first to be sure it will work.
  • Thanks, Flyer!
  • You are welcome. And although I've found some parts of the Aomei Backupper program not to be the greatest, I can tell you that of the 4 or 5 test restores I've made and the 6 actual restores I've done (1 for real, the others were to duplicate the disk for a new build) they all worked except for the one I mistakenly tried to use an MBR disk as the target when trying to do a GPT restore. I'm comfortable using Aomei as a backup program. 
  • edited September 2018
    OK - thanks!  Another question: 
    Regarding restoring a hard drive from a disc image:  It says...

"Disk Restore in AOMEI Backupper

1. Connect the disk backup image to your computer and make sure it can be detected. In the left tab, select Restore and choose the backup you want to restore from the list. Click Next to continue. If the image is not detected, click Path to navigate manually. "

My question:  If my hard drive crashes, how can I connect the backup image to my computer so that it can be detected?  I won't be able to access Backupper on my hard drive because the drive has crashed and is not working.  Do I need to reinstall Windows 7 in order to reinstall Backupper and open it on the drive so that I can "Connect the disk backup image to your computer and make sure it can be detected." ?

• edited September 2018
    You are missing the point of how a backup and restore functions.
    Your backup image should not be on the drive you're trying to backup. It should be on either a removable drive or a second internal drive or a network share.
    If your OS drive fails, you would replace it with a new drive and boot into the BOOTABLE MEDIA you created in a pre windows environment (WinPE).That media contains a copy of Aomei and you will use that copy to find your backup image, wherever it is, and restore it to the new drive. That is why I suggested you test both the bootable media you created and do a test restore. If you need more help I'd be glad and try to make it clearer if this didn't answer your question.

Edit... If your OS drive only gets corrupted, you could do the restore to the same drive if so desired. You would use a new drive if the OS drive completely fails.
  • Thank you so much for your patience and for taking the time to answer my questions.  I really appreciate it! 

My backup image is on a separate, external hard drive.  This is the first time I have heard of WinPE.  I thought all I had to do was create the backup image via Backupper. 

What is WinPE exactly?  Is it created on a CD/DVD?  Is it created via Backupper?  How do I create it? 

Sorry for all my perhaps naive questions.  This is all new to me.  :-\
  • edited September 2018
    Please read this: https://www.backup-utility.com/help/create-bootable-disk.html
    Actually, with your level of understanding (this is not a knock on you or criticism but just because you are new to this) it would be a good idea to read through the entire help section on how this program works and all it's capabilities. https://www.backup-utility.com/help/

Home backup and restore programs rely on a bootable media to restore your OS disk if it becomes inoperable. (Corporate systems may be able to do this remotely.) If you can't boot into the operating system there has to be a way to open the restore program to recover your disk. This is done by creating a disk (or USB) that will load the program in an environment (WinPE) BEFORE the operating system loads. Hence we create the bootable media disk or USB that loads enough of windows, necessary drivers and the restore program to make it usable. You change the boot sequence to load this disk first. Again, this is why you should test this disk (USB) after you make it to ensure it does work.

Please read through the help section and if you still have any questions I'm sure someone will be here to answer your questions.
  • I read through the "create bootable disk" info and other info.  I tried to actually create a bootable disk and it hung up on the "burning disc" phase at 70%, and didn't go any further.  There were a number of options along the way (legacy bootable disc vs UEFI bootable disc", etc.) that it seems to me only an IT person would understand.  I am not exactly inexperienced with computers -- I have been using them for years, as a video producer and animator, but I find this a little overly complicated for me. 

And sometimes the language seemed a little confusing:  for instance, on one page, it says "You may need to install Windows AIK(Windows XP/7)", implying that if you have Win 7, you might need this -- but on another page it says "If you are using Windows 7, Windows 8/8.1, Windows10, or Windows 2012 R2, Windows Server 2016, there may be no need to download Windows AIK."  So...does Win 7 need it or not?  I can't tell from this. 

I know that Backupper Standard is a very good free program.  But I was wondering if there was perhaps something out there that I could purchase (the price wouldn't matter) that is perhaps a little more intuitive and easy to use.  (I'm not meaning to be unappreciative -- just wondering)  I really appreciate all your help, Flyer.  And if you (or anyone else) might be able to help me just a little bit more, I would truly appreciate it.

• I know so little about this whole area.  Perhaps Backupper is the best, most intuitive program for backing up a hard drive.  Perhaps the process is just a little more involved than i had at first assumed.
  • edited September 2018
    No problem. Everyone has to learn. There is plenty about this program I don't understand. To make it simple for you,
    1. Install Backupper
    2. Make a rescue bootable media CD/DVD or USB. Test you can boot into it.
    3. Create a backup image (System or Disk) of your C drive to a safe place. A secondary drive, a network share or a removable USB drive. You can schedule this task (Pro version) or just do it whenever you make a big change to your system. Depends on how current you want the image you may need to restore.
    4 Do a test restore to a spare drive if you want to feel really safe. This is optional.

That's about it for just having an emergency backup if your OS drive gets corrupted or fails.

Good luck and I'm sure you'll get the hang of it. Read or watch YouTube videos on backing up. That may help.

• edited September 2018
    Thanks for the encouragement!  And I would like to move forward on this, but:

--Regarding your step #2:  I am not able to make a bootable media CD or DVD.  I tried with both (both a CD and a DVD), and both got hung up on the burning disc phase and never finished creating the disc. 

--And as I mentioned above, i don't know whether to use the legacy or UEFI setting.  (I tried both and both stalled at the burning disc phase.

--And another option I am confused about is "Download WinPE creating environment from internet."  Do I choose this or not, and why would I need it?  So far I have not chosen this option.

Thanks.
  • There is a known problem which Aomei seems to be VERY slow correcting and that is making this disc. If your process stopped at 99% and just hung, exit the program through task manager and see if you can boot to the disk. Usually it will work. If not, use the ISO function. Save the ISO to disk and then in Win10 right click on it an tell it to burn CD. That should work. Yes use the Download WinPe function. If your disk is GPT and your BIOS is set to UEFI only, then use that function, otherwise use legacy. If you don't know, try legacy first and see what happens.
  • BTW:  I have Windows 7 Pro 64 bit, in case that makes a difference.
  • edited September 2018
    I have no idea if that function is on Win 7. All I can say is download and save the ISO and see if when you right click on it you get the option to burn to CD. If not, there are many free programs that will burn an ISO. Google them. Aomei even suggests some: https://www.backup-utility.com/help/learnburn.html

Please, if you have some spare time, read through the "help" sections for Aomei. It will answer most if not all of your questions. If you're still stuck, don't hesitate to come back here.
  • edited October 2018
    It finally worked!  Thanks for your help!  Even though it only burned to 99%, when I checked the disk, it has the files on it.

Concerning "download WinPE creating environment from the internet".  This is optional on one of my computers and I chose not to download it, and the bootable media disc was still created.  But on my other computer (Also Win 7 Pro 64-bit), I cannot uncheck this option.  Why is that?  Why would I need this?  What does this do to my computer if I download it?  What are the steps involved in installing it?  In the help files, it doesn't give much info about what happens when this is downloaded, or what it does.
  • edited October 2018
    Win 7 needs Microsoft AIK (google it) to load into WinPE. Some people don't have it (it's part of Win 7) or don't have a  version that will work so Aomei has given you the option of supplying it for you. Same for ADK for Win10. If your disk was created, it didn't need it. Getting it again won't matter. Great that the files are there. PLEASE try to boot from this disk to ensure it will really work. Put it in your drive, restart the computer and either enter the BIOS to change the boot order to boot from the CD first or you may have a "hotkey", like hitting F8 on boot to go into a menu that will allow you to choose the drive you want to boot first. It will take 2 or 3 minutes to load but you'll know it's doing it if your CD is active. When it's done you should be looking at the home screen for Backupper. That is what you will need to recover a computer from a backup image. You only need 1 recovery disk. It will work on both your PC's whether it's WIn 7 or Win 10.