Home AOMEI Products Support

Error 6 - Converting mbr to gpt

I have ssd with windows 7 on it. Ive tried wiping the drive with every way possible. I keep getting error that its locked. I tried aomei and I get error 6. What do I need to do so I can wipe this drive, convert to gpt, and install windows 10? I tried installing wondows 10 on gpt but it gives me error during installation and cant continue. 

Comments

• edited September 2018
    If your SSD is connected through USB goto CMD.exe in the running OS and start Diskpart.exe
    Or if SSD is internally, boot from bootable media and go to DOS-prompt. Start Diskpart.exe
    When booted from Win10 Installation DVD/USB you can enter Shift+F10 in a setup screen to enter DOS mode.

In Diskpart enter these commands:

List disk
    select disk #   (# being the disk number of the ssd in list disk)
    clean
    convert gpt  (probably not necessary if you install Windows 10 on a UEFI machine, because the setup program will format the cleaned drive correctly to GPT)
    exit
    exit

You cannot use GPT disk to boot on a BIOS machine. So if the machine ran Windows 7 before it is probably a BIOS machine.

• Virtual disk service error: the specified disk is not convertible. 
    Disk is 120gb ssd. 
  • Is the error I get after running convert gpt
  • edited September 2018
    https://www.disk-partition.com/gpt-mbr/specified-disk-not-convertible-4348.html

Did you clean the SSD ?
    Then don't "convert GPT" but goto Windows Disk Management. Windows should ask if you want the disk to be MBR or GPT initialized.
  • Tried that. Says cleaned successfully but windows still thinks mbr. Created usb with win installation as mbr. Booted in cmd and says cannot convert as disk is cd/dvd. 
    When i try to install windows it says required files corrupt. I know there not as I have been successful with different system. 
  • Please try to convert in Partition Assistant WinPE.