Home AOMEI Products Support

ravanza HELP!! System restore to different PC failed with error 2, now will not boot at all

OK, from looking at posts here, I can see that I am in way over my head.  I am currently using an e machines desk computer and I wanted to transfer programs and data from that machine to a Dell desk top.  Both are on Windows 10.  Here is what I have done:

• I did the backup using AOMEI standard on the e machine to an external disk drive (H). 
  • I then downloaded AOMEI standard to the new machine and connected it to the external drive and attempted restore. 
  • Failed because the equipment was different. 
  • I then purchased AOMEI professional and did the restore process. 
  • It rocked along and seemed to be doing well, then it failed with the error "could not assign drive letter".  Since then I am unable to boot the Dell machine. 
  • I have the AOMEI boot files on a thumb drive, and the Windows recovery files on a separate thumb drive.  The machine does not read either thumb drive and keeps offering drives that I don't have as boot sources. 

I didn't mention that the Dell machine is one that my husband picked up for free at the local senior center and I don't know anything about it really except it has more hard drive and RAM storage.

What do I do now????  Please help.

Comments

• Is it a Disk Backup? Did you restore in Windows or AOMEI boot disc?
  • It is a backup via AOMEI of the e machines desktop.  I did not use either boot disk for the restoral.  I did not realize that I should have
    Like I said, in over my head
  • Please delete all partitions on target drive and restore in AOMEI boot disc to see if it works.
  • OK, How do I do this if I the system won't even boot?
  • You could boot from AOMEI boot disc.
  • Trying that now, noting is happening
    Also tried Windows Recovery disk and Win 10 installation disk, nothing happened with those either.  I fear it has died.
    I hear sounds, but nothing shows on the monitor

• OK, last thing tonight.  This is really making me crazy.  I got it to boot up with the AOMEI boot disc and got to the command prompt.  I found out how to delete the partitions using diskpart, and deleted all of them.  Then changed boot order to use USB Storage first and tried to re-boot, still using the AOMEI disc - and NOTHING, just the same thing about no boot directory found.  I looked at contents of the AOEMI disc and there is plainly a boot directory there.  
    Once again, I am lost and upset and ready to give this all up because as far as I am concerned AOMEI has been nothing but trouble for me.  It was supposed to be simple, do a complete backup from old pc to external hard drive then use AOMEI Professional to install that restoral on the new PC.  NOT HOW IT HAPPENED!!!!  Is there any way to get real time help instead of waiting for reply in this forum??

• So what's the boot error exactly? A blue screen?
  • The error is No boot device available
  • edited September 2018
    Can you transfer the disk from the Dell desktop to the E machines Desktop. I mean take it out of the Dell and put in into the other, so that one has 2 drives. Start Windows and then Aomei and Clone Disk from original HDD to Dell HDD. If that is done transfer Dell HDD back. It must boot provided both systems are compatible. Are both systems UEFI based or BIOS based? Somehow I feel that the oldest computer is BIOS and te newest is UEFI. That would explain the boot problems. Booting from USB if often a problem by the way. DVD boot often works better. 
    And UEFI systems need GPT partitioned disk to boot and BIOS needs MBR partitioned disk to boot. 

In fact to make it easier: Just put the emachines HDD into the Dell and try if it boots. Then you know they are compatible and cloning will work. If it boots on Dell it will automatically install addional drivers for Dell (internet connection needed probably). If you put the HDD back to the E machines desktop theses drivers are ignored. No problem should arise.