Home AOMEI Products Support

Disk restore trashed my system

2»

Comments

• edited August 2018
    "I understand it all except "Metro boot menu style".

It is an option in EasyBCD->Edit, actually called "Use Metro Bootloader". It is the graphical boot menu from Win10. It may be disabled by default. If disabled you'll  see the faster, old, black and white boot menu.

The small Windows partition cannot be added to the big partition. I wouldn't try with Aomei PA. You may leave it or make a little data partition of it.

What is Storage Protection by the way?
  • Oh, maybe it's system protection. I think it reserves some of the drive (like half) go recovery data. 
  • The restore ran way too fast. When I look at disk management, I don't see any additional drive letters. When I start Easybcd, I get the message below, and I have no idea what that means. I'm not sure what to do at that point. 

You said "In EasyBCD add the restored C: partition to the boot menu", but I don't see a restored partition.

I'm pretty close to burnout on this project, but I'm willing to try a few more steps.

• btw, if I start AOMEI as if I was going to do another restore, When I get to the target disk, it shows a whole bunch of additional partitions, such as DELLSUPPORT, which look like they WERE restored earlier. 
    Anyway, I really don't know what's on the disk at this point.
  • edited August 2018
    Press OK to Start EasyBCD. It s just a warning. Not important for the things we want to do.
    it should show 7 buttons on the left hand side of the EasyBCD toolbox.

The question is, don't you know how to restore a single partition from a disk backup or is your backup image corrupt?
    But you were able to restore a few files while Exploring, so it is pobably OK.

Tab Restore
    Path, select image
    Part, Select a partition being the C: partition of 965GB
    Select Destination being the big unallocated partition
    Start Restore. Could take 1 to 5 hours for over 500 GB, depending on connection and disk speed.
  • Yes, that's what I'm pretty sure I did. I walked away for about 20 minutes, and when I came back it said it was complete, so that was too fast, and I don't know what was really done. 
    What do you think my next step should be?
  • Prior restore attempts took 4+ hours
  • edited August 2018
    Try again. Watch what happens. Maybe a screenshot?
  • Try starting from windows install? Or?
  • fyi, I have given up! I'm going to reinstall my software to a clean windows installation, and restore my data from the backup. Thanks to all who contributed!