Home AOMEI Products Support

Files missing from mounted image

I wanted to explore the contents of a particular folder which was backed up a week ago as part of a system image. So I went into Utilities - Explore Image and mounted the C: Drive partition. But when I went to the folder (using Q-Dir as an administrator) on the mounted image, it had only one empty subfolder. But the same folder on my computer has 8 files and 10 subfolders. This is the  users\username\documents folder I am looking at. Can anyone explain why the contents of the users\username\documents on the mounted image are missing?

Thank you

Comments

• Strange....
    You did not, for some reason, exclude document files in the registry, for testing purposes or so?
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\BackupRestore\FilesNotToSnapshot
  • I never ever touch the registry. So, no I did not exclude document folder. Note that the downloads folder is intact but the desktop folder is also empty. All folders under AppData\Roaming are intact.

I believe this might just be an issue when exploring a backup image. I had to do a complete system restore on a few occassions recently and I am positive the documents folder was restored. The desktop folder HAD TO BE or I would have not had my icons.

Any ideas?
  • Maybe you could backup again and check the contents?
  • edited August 2018
    So the files were in the backup but not shown in Q-dir.exe? Maybe there is a problem with Q-dir / rights on your PC.

Check if the files exist in the Explore Image with Command Prompt (cmd.exe run as administrator) and then type this command:
    > dir c:\users\username\documents /s          (username replaced with your actual username)

By the way: Did you ever relocate the Documents and Desktop folders to another location on the disk?
    Look (using Windows Explorer) at the properties of these folders, tab Location. Is it still in the standard location C:\users\username\documents?
    if you relocated them, they are still visible as Documents and work that way but are actually somewhere else......
  • edited August 2018
    Admin: I checked several backup images and in all of them the \users\username\documents and desktop folders were empty.

JohnnyboyGo: Figuring that there might be a problem with Q-Dir, Using Windows 10 Explorer, I copied the entire \users\username folder to an external hard drive. Both the documents and desktop folders were empty. I never relocated any of the \user\ folders.

I am perplexed.

• Ok, I figured it out. In Users\Username there is a folder named OneDrive. The Documents and Desktop folders also appear under OneDrive and contain the files I expected. Why these two folders are empty under Users\Username is a mystery to me. Maybe someone here can explain it. Thank you.