Home AOMEI Products Support

Aomei Backupper: How do I access a DIFFERENT Win User's Account Folders via Explore Image?

edited September 2015 in AOMEI Products Support

Hi image,

Scenario: I have several previously created important SYSTEM Backups, when my Windows User Account name was "XYZ".

I later had an issue and decided to set up a new Windows 10 User account named "ABC" as some aspects of my old account were not working correctly. It was/is my intention to copy across some files and settings from these previous backups which would have no detrimental effect by being copied across.

Problem: When I use Aomei Backupper Utilities> Explore Image and choose a previous Backup and it saves a virtual (I assume) copy to say M: partition.  I try to access the C:\Users|XYZ folder Windows 10 (no doubt due to its UAC) says I do not have permission to access that folder.  Being able to do so is Vital for me.

I have found a workaround and that is Aomei Backupper and/or Windows 10 DOallow me to copy that XYZ User Account Folder and all its contents to a Partition on my PC. Then I can access THAT copied Folder and all files within. HOWEVER, this this seems a long way around not having direct access to one or two of the  Folder's files in the first place.  Additionally, IF the blocking of permissionis intentional by either Aomei Windows, then it seems totally pointless if I can circumvent the block by just copying the folders and all contents across.

My questions:

1) Should I be able to access the Virtual XYZ Folders of another User Accountanyway via windows Explorer? If not why not?

2) If not, why am I able to copy the Folder and why is that not also blocked due to permission restrictions (using Windows Explorer?)

3) What can I do to get direct access to the Virtual C:\Users\XYZ folders in the first place?

I appreciate this blocking may be intentional (even though I have a Windows Administrator User Account to stop access to another users Account folders.However it that is the case I should not be able to copy there folders else where and then have access to those.

I did try the application “TakeOwnershipEX” on the virtual folders but not unsurprisingly it did not work on the virtual Aomei backup.

Am I doing something wrong in how I expect to get access to XYZ User folders or other permission protected Folders and Files?

If not, is there an easier better way to get access than using my workaround?

Many thanks all

Comments

• Hi,

Because the mounted virtual drive is read only. After you copy the folder to other location, you can check whether or not the access permission has changed after you copy the folder to other location.

Or you can check whether or not you have copied the folder to a FAT file system partition.   

• Hi Admin image,

Many thanks for your kind and speedy response.image

Firstly, sorry for the joined words (caused by form not having a Speel Check and my copying to MS Word and pasting back strangely causes soem words to connect which I did not realize at first).

I assume you answer is why “TakeOwnershipEX” does not work.

I confirm I am using NTFS Patitions ONLY.

Just for my clarification please,

Are you suggesting all I have reported is normal and to be expected?

and

Is my workaround is the only/best solution to this scenario?

Thanks

• This is a major issue, is there no other way to access a USER folder?

We have just backed up a system and it is estimating over 4 hours just to copy the USER folder so we can access some files in Documents, during the copy certain files are failing to copy, which means we have to sit there clicking SKIP - Even the antiquated version of Symantec Ghost did not have this problem.
    Are there any plans to solve this problem?
  • edited July 2018
    Use any other file explorer than Windows Explorer. Like Q-dir (google it). 
    You can even use Dos command prompt. (cmd.exe)
    But run them as administrator.

This problem only occurs in Windows Explorer.
  • ok, I will use Q-Dir, I love that program lol

I will report back
    Thank you