Home AOMEI Products Support

Wrong partition mounted from image

edited March 2018 in AOMEI Products Support

Hello,

when I want to mount with image explorer the second partition from an image with 2 backed up partitions, only the first partition is mounted, no matter what I select: the first, the second or both partitions. If both partitions are selected and mounted the corresponding virtual drives show the same - always the first - partition data.

I'am using Win10, tested with version 3.2 and 4.0.6

Regards,

Beno

Tagged:

Comments

• Can you upload a screenshot of the problem?

• Hello,

here are the captured actions, as you can see the first window shows the partitions D: and E: with EDISK and FDISK labels, the second contains the message of succesfull volumes mount and and the third are the virtual drives K: and L: with same contents.

Regards, Beno

imageaom4.png

• So what are the original contents of D: and E: ?

• Hi,

here is the content:

imageaom5.png

Is there any possibility to check / view the internal structure of the image ?

• Hmm, this is strange. No other way except for the Explore.

Can you make a new backup to see the result?

• edited March 2018

Hi,

I did a new test inside a separate vmware vm (because of the disk size). I addes 2 disks with 1GB size, create 2 dir's and 2 files and created a backup, the results are the same. I attached a pdf with all info. The guest OS is now Win81pro

Regards,

Beno

imageaom_test_vm.pdf

• edited March 2018

What if you give your disks complete different names: Like Data and Programs instead of Edisk and Fdisk?

It is very strange that you can reproduce this error in a complete different setup. Only the names are the same...

• May be I found the culprit: I converted both disks to MBR and then repeated the operation, the volumes were mounted correctly. I'll change the disk names as you suggest, will report back ...

• So they were GPT data disks before? And you (virtual) PC is UEFI?

• Yes, the "problematic" disks are GPT, the working disks MBR. The PC, both physical host as the VM's are non-UEFI.

• edited March 2018

OK I tested your situation:

A. 2x MBR disks EDISK and FDISK both 32 GB. Explore mounted correctly

B. 2x GPT disks EDISK and FDISK both 32 GB. Explore mounted both as EDISK with EDISK content.

C. 2x GPT disks named DONALD and MELANIA both 32 GB. Mounted both as DONALD with DONALD content.

D. Mounted only MELANIA. Appeared as DONALD with DONALD content.

So renaming didn't do anything. There seems to be a problem with GPT disks in Aomei....

• And even stranger:

I restored only the MELANIA disk and when done the restored disk was named MELANIA but with the content of DONALD...

@Bsax. Can you confirm and reproduce this?

• I will try this later, now I'm struggling with GPT restored disks. I had to confirm the behaviour yet, may be I made a mistake, will report back ...

• edited March 2018

Different names and even different sizes of the disks, makes no difference. The second disk keeps showing the content of the first disk in the (partition) backup.

The backup of the second disk is not retrievable.

The problem does not occur when backing up two partitions on the same GPT disk.

• Hi,

now I'm confused. I added a third GPT disk to the VM and created a new backup. Explore image now shows the correct disks as well as restoring them shows correct content. Then I removed the third disk, restarted the VM and doing again backup / explore image, everything ok ... boh.

@JohnnyboyGo: can you try this yourself ? Btw, I can confirm your yesterday's restore with wrong content and disk label name issue.

• edited March 2018

@bsax. No I cannot confirm your findings with 3 disks. I made a backup of 3 GPT partitions on 3 GPT disks. Then Explored them and they all showed up as the first disk DONALD with the Donald content.

Are you sure the 3rd disk is not MBR?

Now I tested with 2 GPT and 1 MBR mix. The MBR showed up just fine when the backup was Explored, but the 2 GPTs still kept showing up as DONALD...

• edited March 2018

@Admin,can you comment on this erratic behaviour and let your technicians have a look at this issue? It's crazy that a partition backup beyond the first partition cannot be restored or explored.

• edited March 2018

I'll start a test once again on a new vm. I removed all but the system c: disk from the previous vm, deinstalled aomei, reboot, added another 2 disks, initialized them as gpt, made a backup and the image volumes were mounted correctly. It seems that it's related to a particular sequence of operations. Unfortunately the host backup still behaves the same way.

• Ok, we will test this issue.

• We tested it but didn't encounter the problem you guys described?

• edited March 2018

Did you connect 2 GPT data drives to the (BIOS/MBR) Win10 system via Sata, not USB, and make a partition backup from both drives in a single task?

@Bsax tested with a physical machine and with Vmware. I tested wit VirtualBox. All three with the wrong result on the second data disk...

• edited March 2018

Hi all,

I can now confirm the pattern. It seems that the image is not created properly if the disks are first initialized to GPT:

- revert to a clean machine snapshot, win 8.1 pro, one disk present

- install AB

- create 2 new VM disks, 1 GB size, to speed up operation

- initialize them directly to GPT, make a simple volumes on each, create some content

- backup up, exit / enter AB, mount image, the disks are the same

- convert disks to mbr, no need to create volume

- convert disk back to gpt, backup, mount image, disks OK

- the previous backup image mount shows the same disks, so the problem seems to be in the image

I tried this 3 times in a row, everytime with same results.

Regards, 

Beno

• I can send a sample of good and bad image, if you want to check them ?

• edited March 2018

I tested with one disk almost empty and one disk with a few GB files. The empty one went fast and the backup of the bigger disk took much more time. So the backup image is probably right, not 2x the empty one, but the second disk can never be retrieved or explored. The empty one is explored or restored twice.

• Yes, please send the sample.

• I sent the samples to [email protected]