Home AOMEI Products Support

Partition Assistant will not delete or format data on WIN10 SSD

I have tried and tried to get Partition Assistant to format or delete partitions on my Win10 SSD. It seems to be working and doing the job correctly, but when ever I click OK on the final window the drive goes back to showing it has partitions and data. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks

Tagged:

Comments

• Sorry? I did click on apply and as I wrote  It seems to be working and doing the job correctly, but when ever I click OK on the final window the drive goes back to showing it has partitions and data.

• edited February 2018

Do you want to wipe the whole disk? In that case try Diskpart's  Clean command.

I've no idea what's going wrong.

• Yes I want to wipe the whole disk - in effect start from a new disk. I will try your suggestion Thanks

• Well, that did not work either........

• edited February 2018

@Roger0508

Are you trying to clean (delete all partitions) from your active OS C: drive while in Windows? I don't think you can do that. You need to run Partition Asst or do what JohnnyboyGo said to do with diskpart in a PRE WINDOWS environment. There are multiple ways to get there and into a command prompt window. If you don't know how and were trying to do the deletes while in Windows, please post that here.

• No. I am not trying to do it on the active Windows drive. The drive is connected via USB using a USB 3.0 MYSAFE 2.5" external case.

Also the drive will also not let me make a clean install of windows when fitted in a new machine, which is why I am trying to do this on a second PC. I have tried using command line method as suggested by JohnnyboyGo and using applications such as Aomei Partition Assistant.

• Does Aomei Partition Assistant recognize the drive correctly? And Windows Disk Management?

• Aomei Partition Assistant - Yes. Window file explorer - no, but the computer finds the drive via USB connection. It is there to eject.....

• edited February 2018

@Roger0508

You might want to read this article: Installing Windows on an external SSD

The key point I get from that article is this...

"Before we start, let’s get the bad news out of the way: Windows will refuse to install on an external drive if it knows that’s what you’re doing."

Then it goes on to explain some workarounds. 

Still not sure why it won't work if you had it your new machine.

Good luck with this and I hope this helps you.