Home AOMEI Products Support

Novice question regarding migrating OS to SSD.

I've heard that upgrading to SSD can improve the performance of a laptop.

So I got one from ebay and came across this page when in search for instructions as to how to migrate the OS:

https://www.disk-partition.com/blog/installing-os-to-ssd-but-keeping-everything-else-on-hdd-0528/

I downloaded the software and followed the instructions up to step 5.

So I think I've now successfully copied the OS on to the SSD. At least I can see the files when I look on the SSD drive.

My question is how do I "get it to work"?

I've changed the start up settings in the BIOS to boot from USB/flash but this doesn't seem to work. When I start the computer it just boots up like normal i.e. seemingly from the C drive.

I'd be grateful if someone could please tell me how to boot from the SSD?

Best Regards

Bear

Comments

• It's hard to know exactly what you did, but after the migration, you need to remove your old C drive and connect the new SSD in its place. Then make sure you have your BIOS set to boot from THAT device first. It's not a USB/Flash drive. Let us know how it works out.

• Hi there

when you say "remove your old C drive".

do you mean physically from the laptop?

• I should just add that i bought an external ssd drive. This connects via a USB.
  • edited February 2018

Yes. Or if have room to put the SSD in along with the old drive you can do that. But in any case, it requires you to disconnect the SATA power cable and SATA data cable from the old drive and connect them to the new drive. You don't want the old drive connected along with the new drive at this point. Your PC will not boot to the OS from an external drive so you can't hook it in with USB cables. (it may or may not but this is not ideal.)

To test this before you physically remove the old drive, just unhook both cables from it and hook them up to the new SSD. See if it will start so you know the migration was successful. Then you can safely remove the old drive and put the new SSD in its place.

PS... I just saw your second post about the SSD being an external SSD connected by USB cable. You can do work arounds to make it boot but you won't get the benefit of it being an SSD. You'll be restricted to USB speeds. You really should be using an internal SSD for a boot drive. You can unplug your internal old drive and then see if it will boot from the SSD but again, this is not really a good idea.

• edited February 2018

@Flyer, he has a laptop.

@atbear71, you probably can't remove the SSD from the internal case. You should have bought a SSD drive like a Samsung EVO 850 or 860 that you can put into the laptop.

Sadly not all modern laptops have the option to remove the HDD in an easy way. Oldschool laptops have a little hatch to remove the HDD, that could be done by everyone.

Examine if your laptop has that option. Shutdown, remove the battery and power cable first. Or search on youtube for example video's of your model on how to do that.

As Flyer said, you can't boot from an USB drive the way Windows is meant to boot.