Home AOMEI Products Support

backup won't compress / Solved

Somethng changed in Aomei I'm guessing.  I used to be able to compress my backups but now it won't work.  What happed to the compression option?  It's there but it doesn't compress the backup anymore. It copies the entire partition with no compression.  Has something changed?  Thank you.

Comments

• Did you encrypt the drive?

• no, the drive isn't encrypted. I'm wondering if it's win10 that's causing the problem?  Aomei always worked well for me in the past.  This is my first try with win10.

• Can you upload a screenshot of Disk Management?

• Here is my screenshot.  I want to save the compressed image to partiton "I".  I used to do it with Win 7 and it worked just fine.  But ever since I bit the bullet and installed Win 10 Creators it won't compress to fit in the I partition of 60 gigs.

• So sorry, I hit the "post comment" button before I attached the screenshot.

imageDisk Management.jpg

• edited October 2017

I know a way to add more than 100 GB to your storage capacity....for free.

• Did you perform a system backup? The backup image(.adi) is 60GB?

• No, I want to make an image of my "C" drive which is about 27 gigs.  Normally that would have compressed down to about 9/10 gigs that I want to store on partition "I".  I got a hold  of an older computer today that someone threw out with win7 on it.  I experimented with it a bit.  It had one 120 gig partition.  I resized it down to 80gigs and made a new partition of 40 gigs.  I installed Aomei on it and tried a backup of the "C" partition to the new 40 gig partition with high compression and it worked just fine.  No problems at all.  Aomei has saved my bacon quite a few times in the past few years by being able to do a restore of the "C" partition when the computer would have problems.  Sure hate to give up on it.  Win10 maybe?

• Ok, so the used space of C: drive is 72.75GB-40.89GB≈32G, and the current backup image is 27GB?

• No, that 27G was what I had used on C: at that time.  Now it's 31.4G. See screenshot I've included.  I want to make a backup image of the 34.1G used space on C:, compress it down to about 10/11G in order to fit on the 60G "I" partition.  I choose high compression but it won't compress.  It wants to make an image of the entire 75G C: but that won't fit of course on the 60G "I" partition.  To sum it up...the image won't compress like it used to with win 7 or 8.

imageUsed space on C.jpg

• So did you get the error 4138: there is not enough space on the disk?

• Please check which option did you choose?

• Yes, I got the error message as it was going to copy the entire partition of 75G to the 60G.  I use intelligent sector backup.

• Can you upload the log files in AOMEI Backupper installation directory?

• I hope this is what you want

imagelog2.txt

• I see you are using version 3.2, can you upgrade to the latest version 4.0.6 to see if it works?

• I did download the latest 4.0.6.  Installed and ran it.  It didn't work so I went back to the older version just to see if it would work.  It didn't either.  I will uninstall 3.2 and download 4.0.6 and try it and get back to you.  BTW, I very much appreciate your help.

• I downloaded and installed 4.0.6 after uninstalling 3.2.  Ran the backup
    and it still won't compress.  I've included 2 screen shots and the new
    log files.  As you can see in the shot of the running backup at the
    bottom where it says Processing Data 5.30GB/72.75 it's backing up the
    entire C partition with no compression.  When there is compression it
    will show, or always did show the compressed size ...5.30GB/28.5 for example.  Until this problem is resolved I'm using a program called "RollbackRX" just in case..... For some reason I can't attach the three files.  I tried the new log folder but no go..I don't get it..It worked before.  The screenshots won't attach either.  I'm lost.  I'll try to send this and try the shots in another reply.

• Hi collieman, please run the command chkdsk /f/r c: and backup again to see the result.

• I ran chkdsk  f/r c: from command prompt as you instructed.  I then tried the backup again with no success.  Still won't compress. I tried none, normal and high compression just to see if there was any difference but with no luck.  Intelligent Sector Backup is checked or ticked.  Another thing I should mention is that my old, trusty Linux rescue CD's will no longer see the successful backups of Win 7 and 8.  The backup is visible in explorer in the selected partition but the Linux rescue CD no longer sees it..  Had to create a PE disk.  That worked.  I have an old XP computer that I want to try installing Win 10 Creators on.  It will only take 2G's of RAM.   Not sure if it will work. 10 might refuse to install on it.  If it does install the first thing I'm going to do is try a backup.  Trying to think of things to try.  This hard drive is a brand new WD from Newegg.  Might take this drive out and put the old one back in. SMART told me it was time to replace.  Install 10 and try a backup on it.  Grasping at straws here.

• Well, not sure why the backup won't compress, maybe you could try another drive.

• I have plenty of good used drives that I can try.  That's what I'll do.  I still think it's Win 10.  7 & and 8 compress.  I also could try the older anniversary Win 10.   I'll will let you know if I find anything. 

• SUCCESS!! I removed the new 320G WD drive and installed an old 80G Seagate.  I created 2 partitions of 60 and 20 gigs.  Installed Win10 creator.  Immediately installed 4.0.6.  Nothing else on the computer.  Started a backup to the test D partition.  Chose high compression and it worked immediately.  Compressed C down to about 4G.  Now I wondwred if it would restore.  I then altered the desktop with a solid wallpaper and put some icons around the desktop just to change it's appearance.  Did the restore and it restored it back to where it was before I made the changes. Excellent.  Now why is my new drive not allowing the backup to work correctly?  So it wasn't Win 10 like I was suspecting. Might you have any suggestions?  I'm thinking low-level fornat of  the new drive and reset it but, that can ruin the drive.  Thanks a bunch

• Maybe there's something wrong  with the file system, how about reinstalling Win10 on the new drive?

• That's exactly what I'm doing now.  I will let setup delete the C partition and create a new one.  I'm in the process of saving everything of value on my desktop.  I will let you know.

• Found the problem.  It was  Rollback Rx.  A new installation worked just fine on my new drive.  By working just fine I mean that the image would compress.  I added my apps one at a time and tried a backup after each one and it worked each time.  Then after I had things the way I wanted I installed Rollback Rx.  I then tried to make a restore point and got an error message....something about not enough room and shadow copy.  Then I tried to make a compressed backup using 4.0.6.  The compression no longer worked.  So I uninstalled Rollback Rx.  Now I was able to make a compressed backup again and create a restore point.  It's Rolllback RX that was causing the problem.  I'm going to look to see how I can mark this problem as solved.  Thanks again for your help, Collieman

• I tried to edit the title in "Discussions" to solved but it said I don't have permission.