Home AOMEI Products Support

windows 10 restore will not work with either system or disk option to new pc

I am using backupper ver 4.0.6 on a windows 10 pc. I made a boot usb from the utility menue, did a system backup and also a disk backup to external drive, then went to new pc  and first tried disk restore and reboot but only get flashing white cursor then tried again with with system backup but same results just a flashing white cursor. I have also tried BCDBoot command as i saw that worked for someone on here but did not work for me. and yes i did set it to universal restore because it is going on a replacement pc. 

Comments

• edited October 2017

Are both PC's, original and destination, of the same style? BIOS versus UEFI. They don't mix. And the corresponding partition styles for the HDD is MBR versus GPT. UEFI PC's can often be set to legacy or CSM for compatiblity with the older BIOS PC's.

New PC's since 2012 or so are mostly UEFI-based.

• Yes both pc's are same (UEFI) and Both are set as GPT. The original drive in the old pc has 5 partitions.  when doing a disk restore on new pc it makes 5 new partitions but would not boot. so tried the assign letter and move sys to c:\ and same results also started again from scratch but did system restore and same results but with only 2 partitions made (i understand it only moves what it needs for windows to work when done this way) but same results and also tried again with assign letter to sys and move to c:\windows but same results. any other ideas?

• edited October 2017

"started again from scratch"

Did you perform a Diskparts Clean command before the restore? If not, try that.

• Yes already did that too many many times over this weekend

• A system backup/restore on my PC covers 3 partitions: Recovery, EFI, C: In that order visible in Windows Disk Management. You report only 2 partitions? Somebody else on the forum wrote about missing Recovery partition in the backup. Is that also in your case?

A Disk backup always backups all partitions. So concentrate on that for now. 

Are you using normal HDD's?

• yes normal mechanical drive sata, and yes that was missing the recovery partition. right now running check disk for the last coupl of hours so far no errors and it is almost done then i will work with the disk recovery again

• Ok sooo after a lot of try this try that i decided to set the drive as MBR and do a system restore and behold it worked However the original pc hard drive is set as GPT so I do not have the other partitions (nothing on them that is needed since this is a totally different make and model pc anyways). Any idea why?

• edited October 2017

Your destination PC is not UEFI but BIOS based? I didn't know it was possible to restore a UEFI/GPT as BIOS/MBR as a stand alone OS. I do know an UEFI system can be restored on a BIOS machine as secondary OS next to an already installed OS.

Or maybe one of the PC's has a special implementation of UEFI/BIOS?

• the new machine is an asus essentio cm6850 and in the setup  it had EFI