Home AOMEI Products Support

Restoring problem after destination selection

I have a problem with restoring a system back up (Windows 10) with my Aomei Professional software.

These are the things I do and the messages I get.

Restore

Select Image file: Full back up date etc..

Select the destination for the system image that youwish to restore:

now I see Disk 1 and Disk 2. On disk 1 there is the C:Boot and 3 small partitions with the name *:

I only can choose 1 partition as destination. When I choose C: Boot as destination, I get the following message:  NOTE: There may be a boot or system partition on the destination disk, if you restore the operating system in the backup file to the destination disk, this could lead that the existing bootable partition on the destination disk does not boot.

I once tried this option by selecting C: Boot as destination and after restoring, the system did not reboot….

Before doing this I cloned the whole SSD to another SSD, so I can try again.

What to do?

Kind Regards,

Comments

• edited August 2017

Clean your destination drive with Diskpart before the restore and initialize it as GPT or MBR whatever your PC needs. You probably have a UEFI machine, so you need GPT.

Then format the drive. Restore with the destination drive connected through USB (or as a secondary disk) on a running machine or install the drive internally and boot from the Aomei Boot disk or USB.

See #18 for instructions on Diskpart and GPT conversion:

http://www.aomeitech.com/forum/discussion/3545/cant-see-new-ssd/p2

• Thank you very much JohnnyboyGo!

With your help I succeeded. It worked without problems!

• Glad I could help. Thanks for the feedback

• edited August 2017

re: see #18 for instructions above. What I also learned when trying to do a system restore ( I ran into the same problem as Maurice) it appears doing an AOMEI system restore to another drive needs to be done to a drive with only one partition, preferably a clean one. This may be a drawback but it can easily be overcome if you're aware of the problem. That's why I posted those directions.

While I like this product, I still think the documentation provided is sorely outdated and woefully incomplete.

• Flyer, I agree concerning the documentation. 

By the way restoring the SSD in this way is not a userfriendly manner for me because I have a M.2 SSD on the mainboard. In case of restoring data I have to remove the Video Card before I can remove the SSD for cleaning and formatting. I wonder if there is a less time consuming way.

• edited August 2017

Maurice: You can boot from Aomei CD/DVD or USB and then goto Utilities->Command prompt to enter Diskpart. Or use the Windows installation DVD, Press Shift+F10 and goto Diskpart. No need to remove the m.2 SSD that way.

Either way, you need Aomei bootable media to restore from an external disk to the internal SSD.

• Thank you for the answer. The first thing I tried yesterday was booting with the Aomei rescue DVD but Diskpart within Aomei Utilities did not allow me cleaning and formatting the disk with the C partition on it. Perhaps a build in security?

Next time I will try again or use the Windows installation DVD.