Home AOMEI Products Support

How to create a bootable media containing Aomei backupper?

edited January 2015 in AOMEI Products Support

HI,

First I will thank you for a product which for me seems to be one of the best freeware I'v ever seen. For the first time someone has succeeded telling me the differance between incremental and differential backup. Then to my problem: I would like to create a bootable media (USB memory stick) also containing Aomei Backupper, for the case that my original drive crashes.

In Aomei backupper I chose the "Utilities", "create bootable media", "windows PE" and "create e bootable media based on UEFI noot mode". I run windows 8.1. During the process everything seems to function without problem. However when I check the memory stick, there are only 317 MB used and none of the maps/files says anything about Aomei Backupper. Before I learned about AOMEI, I created a bootable (recover) memory stick directly from windows 8.1., control panel, security and this stick was filled up with about 16 GB and I guess without the backupper program from AOMEI.

Could anyone help me how I can create a bootable stick including the Aomei backupper program?

Regards

Sverre

Comments

• Sverre,

The PE consists of boot files and a file called a wim.  It stands for Windows Image.  That file is a complete file system in one compressed file.  The Aomei software is included within that wim.

• Hi again and thank you for a quick answer.

I was confused about the total size of 517 MB, but now I found the boot.wim file in the map "sources" on the stick.  As I understand the boot.wim will then automatically decompress and open the Aomei Backupper if I use this stick to boot a new drive on my PC.

Another short question. I have one SSD disk 128 GB(mainly for system) and one usual drive 1 TB (mainly for data)on my PC. Do I have to pay any specially attention to this during the backup/restore procedure?

Again thanks so much.

Sverre

• Sverre,

There's nothing special to worry about when backing up.  Just be sure to select the proper source/destination for whatever you wish to back up.  When restoring, there's an option to align partition for SSD.  It will work on the SSD regardless of using that, but you should use it as it modifies the partition table slightly for solid state optimization.  

• Hi, what is in the wim file? Can it just include the Aomei software? Would that make Aomei load faster from a bootable USB stick?

• YHR, a WIM is a Windows Image.  Basically it's a file based compressed file system of a type created by Microsoft.  Generally speaking for a PE (preinstallation environment), it will contain most everything except the support files needed to boot the system.  Essentially on those USB drives, you have a few boot files and the support files needed to mount the WIM as a virtual drive.  Then most of your available software will actually be compiled into the WIM including the Aomei software.