Home Storage General Discussion

Understanding terms and which partitions I can move / write over

Hi

I have just bought a Lenovo Z50-90 which has a SSHD (1TB HD + 8GB SSD combined). It has something called onekey recovery on it.  I am using AOMEI to rebalance the partitions and add in one extra one (I like this so that I keep all my personal documents and photos on a drive with nothing else to simplify backing up with goodsync etc.).  I expected to just have a C drive and D drive but there are several extras.  So far I have simply dealt with C (has the operating system on, I've just reduced the size slightly) and D (has various drivers on and an empty applications folder - which I have reduced significantly) and created a new partition to the right of this which has got all the spare space from these two partitions.  

I could just leave it like this - but I want to just check about the other partitions to see what they are.  If anyone can advise me at all I would really appreciate it.

At the top it says Disk 1 (GPT) and everything is part of this:

PARTITION            SYSTEM   CAPACITY    USED            FREE            FLAG        STATUS

*: WINRE_DRV       NTFS        1000.00MB    294.89MB    705.10MB    GPT,WRE    NONE

*: SYSTEM_DRV    FAT32        260.00MB     32.55MB     227.45MB      GPT,EFI    SYSTEM

*                              UNALL.      1000.00MB    0.00KB        1000.00MB    GPT            NONE

*:                             OTHER       128.00MB      0.00KB        128.00MB     GPT,MSR   NONE

C: WINDOWS8_OS  NTFS        460.00GB       58.00GB     402.00GB     GPT            BOOT

D: LENOVO            NTFS          50.01GB        2.41GB        47.60GB        GPT            NONE

F:                              NTFS         403.86GB     143.35MB    403.72GB       GPT            NONE (this is the one I created)

*: PBR_DRV            NTFS          15.31GB        10.29GB      5.02GB          GPT,WRE   NONE

Is it normal to have so many?  I'm guessing I should leave most of them alone - but what about the third one (1000mb unallocated) - could I take this spare and add to my drive?  Is the SSD a particular one or does it mix with the HD?  Sorry for my ignorance!

Any opinions greatly appreciated.

thanks

Comments

• Hpaomeitech,

Windows 7 and later will often create a hidden partition that's used for Bit Locker.  Also they sometimes use this for EFI boot options.  I see that you've got the GPT flag setup on your partitions.  It means you're using a GUID partition table type instead of MBR.  Also, given that lal of the partitions are GPT type, your system is setup this way for EFI or UEFI boot.  

The unallocated space could be used to extend a partition that's contiguous with it, but there's no user space configured next to it. Your C, D and F logical drives are not contiguous with that space.  Granted, there's a partition labeled other that is apparently entirely blank.  You could delete teh partition that's there then extend C to use that extra space.  

If you do, though, make a full disc backup first!  Also, be prepared for it to take a while, since all of the data on C would have to be moved to the beginning of the new partition.  It shows you've got 48 GB of data there, so it'll take a little while to move it to expand that partition.  Again, be sure to make a full disc backup first, so if something goes wrong, you can restore the disc back to its current condition.