Home AOMEI Products Support

Backup files as they are?

Hello!

I am looking for a perfect backup software, and I have to say that Aomei Backupper is the one I am about to choose, as it seems to work very well and doesn't seem to have any problems (or I haven't discovered them yet :) ).

However, there is one big thing that seems to be missing from Aomei Backupper: an ability to backup files and folders as they are in source disk, not compressing them to one .afi -file.

In general, I am very suspicious about backing up hundreds of files into one file that I cannot open without spesific software, in this case, Aomei Backupper. If it was zip file, or iso, for example, I would know I can open those files and see what there is inside, no matter what happens. Well, I guess I could live with .afi -format.

But, and this is the big BUT. I want to back up my files from my desktop computer to a network drive (WD My Cloud), and because I can access that drive with my mobile phone, I could (for example) browse my photos, or listen to my .mp3 files no matter where I am. My plan is that I further backup that network drive to separate USB drive every now and then for maximum safety.

But because instead of 1000 pictures, there is only one "pictures.afi" -file, I cannot browse through my photos at all.

So, I am wondering, is there any way to backup files as they are, or does AOMEI Backupper create ONLY .afi -files? 

Comments

• You can also use clone function. You'll get exactly the same files as they are.

• But as far as I can see, you can only clone whole partitions or disks. In my case I would like to clone a folder(s) (for example "Music" and "Photos" -folders) only. Is that not possible?

I noticed there is also "System Clone" but that is locked in free version and I didn't found anything about it from your website:

http://www.backup-utility.com/help/clone.html

• Paladine,

Aomei Backupper is designed to make disk/partition backups and file/folder backups stored as an .afi file.  The primary purpose is full disk backup and/or cloning.  If you want a portable file that can be opened such as a zip, you really should use an archiving program that can read zip files.  So while you can create a backup of your pictures, it is not meant to be viewed/extracted on a phone or other system that's not running Aomei Backupper.

• All right, thank you for your answer. That's what I began to suspect. So, I realised that I need two programs instead of one: the one that can backup my files/disks, and another that can copy some of my files to my NAS so that I can browse them anywhere. I spent my day searching for a solution and here's what I chose:

1. For those files that I want to open with my phone when I am away from home: Synkron (http://synkron.sourceforge.net/). It suited for my needs better than any other software (and that program works how I wanted).

2. For backupping purposes (and for all files that I don't need to open with my phone), AOMEI Backupper. I like the software, it is simple to use and it seems to work pretty well.

Using both programs should cover all my needs :)

• If you are looking for another backup software then Ahsay backup software is best option for you. Ahsay Backup software is a robust cross-platform backup solution which allows businesses and managed backup service provider to backup virtual machines, databases and servers to local/mapped network drive, locally hosted backup server, or online backup server hosted in datacentre. I would like to suggest you to try this software, because its really beneficial.