Home AOMEI Products Support

NTSF to FAT32 conversion taking a long, long time

edited January 2015 in AOMEI Products Support

Hi,

I am trying to convert my external HD from NTSF to FAT32 so it can be used to watch videos on my xbox.

I downloaded the standard partition assistant last night and began the process, it is still going now some 17 hours later and if it continues at this rate its going to take a week. There is 1397.26GB on the hard drive so I'm not sure if this is why it's taking so long, I figured if the data wouldn't be deleted then I might as well just leave the data on there instead of having to transfer it all onto my laptop.

Is there anything I can do about this or will I just have to wait it out now that it has started?

Also, my computer went to sleep at 4% which was maybe an hour or less into the conversion (i hadn't thought about the fact this might happen!) and when i resumed windows the conversion continued at this slow rate. Would this perhaps have something to with the time it is taking?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Neil

Comments

• Actually, it seems to have gone from 14% to finished in a very short time so I'm all good now.

• NT10,

Sorry no one replied to you, but yes the more data the longer it will take.  There are other caveats as well such as file size.  NTFS and FAT32 handle small files differently, so there can be more moving data around the disk when there are many small files.