Home AOMEI Products Support

GPT formatted Windows to Go USB flash drive

edited December 2014 in AOMEI Products Support

Hello!

I am trying to create a Windows to Go flash drive using Partition Assistant Pro

When I use the Partition Assistant Windows to Go creator, it creates an MBR drive with an NTFS partition.

I have a Microsoft Surface 3 Pro running Win8.1 Pro 64-bit.  Because it is UEFI-only, it requires boot USBs to be GPT, with FAT32 partitions.

I've tried creating the WtG, then converting the partition from NTFS to FAT32 and that's worked fine.  However, once I convert the flash drive to GPT, Partition Assistant can no longer see the drive -- it disappears from the screen and refreshing doesn't help (note that Windows Explorer, and Diskpart, can still see the drives).  Also, after conversion to GPT, the drives do not boot and many of the Windows files do not convert over.

I've found this only happens with USB flash drives (solid state memory) -- when I've used a USB hard drive (spinning platters) PA can recognize the GPT drive, but refuses to install WtG to a GPT drive.  Note that I've tried two different USB flash drive manufacturers (PNY and Centon), same issue with both.

Any help would be appreciated!  Thanks in advance!

TIm