Home AOMEI Products Support

Bootdisk doesn't ask if I want UEFI or legacy boot support

edited December 2014 in AOMEI Products Support

I'm trying to create a Windows PE boot disc for my old computer and it skips from selecting either Windows PE or Linux to where I want the image burned to (dvd, usb, or iso). I need it to be able to work on legacy bios since my bios doesn't seem to support anything else. 

I'm currently making this bootdisc on my Windows 7 laptop if that makes any difference.

Comments

• Ganon11000 is correct.  Windows PE does support legacy.  However, the folder structure does include files to allow it to boot UEFI as well.  Most UEFI computers require FAT32 formatted drives for booting to an external device, however.  If your USB drive is formatted NTFS it won't boot on the majority of UEFI systems. 

• edited December 2014

My issue is that when I try to boot from the usb on my older system, it tells me that Windows PE cannot boot. The reason it gives at the bottom is that it's trying to run a 64 bit application on a 32 bit architecture. It makes sense because the processor is indeed 32 bit... but how can I get around that? I didn't see an option anywhere to run Windows PE in 32 bit when making the boot disc.        

Is the solution formatting the USB drive in FAT32 before creating the bootdisc on it?        

• Milob,

The PE is created using the architecture of the host OS.  If, for example, you create the PE when running Windows 7 x64, then the PE will also be Windows 7 x64.  To create a 32 bit PE you will need to run from a system running a 32 bit OS.  As far as FAT32, that is a file system type.  FAT is an old file system type used in the days of MS DOS.  FAT32 is a 32 bit file address table extension of FAT and has nothing to do with the bit architecture of the CPU running the system or the OS running on the system. 

• Thank you daryl, that was a big help because it confirms my thoughts on what the issue was. I'm going to give it another go tomorrow. Thanks!