Home AOMEI Products Support

BIOS modification prior to MBR to GPT change

MSI BIOS on a GIGABYTE AB530M MB is currently set to Legacy Only on the Storage Boot Option Control. Would appreciate confirmation if this should be changed to UEFI Only, PRIOR  to changing from MBR to GPT. Also, is it recommended to change the other HDD's from MBR to GPT, as well? TIA

Tagged:

Comments

• @MCabZ, After converting the system disk from MBR to GPT, you need to change the boot mode to UEFI under BIOS.
    For other data disks, you can still retain the original format.
  • Thanks for the reply. I am aware that the boot mode needs to be changed to UEFI. Not sure if it should be done PRIOR to changing from MBR to GPT or after the operation. What I find confusing about the MB I have is that there is no clear boot mode option to change from Legacy to UEFI. The only option I suspect that would produce that change is the Storage Boot Option Control in the BIOS tab. It is currently Legacy and can be changed to UEFI Only.
  • @MCabZ, you need to changed the boot mode after conversion is completed.
  • edited December 2022
    Always backup your data before making a major change like this. Thank you for having a backup disk, but it is not a safe backup if it is still connected to your system. Please have an external unpluggable backup, or a cloud one.