Home AOMEI Products Support

migrate OS

Hi I'm new to AOMEI, Id like to know in advance please if I use "Migrate OS to SSD" is the source partition then destroyed? Or is the date basically just copied to destination? Obliged for any help here
Tagged:

Comments

• Clone one disk/SSD to another definitely does not destroy the source disk content - it remains exactly as it was and an exact replica is made on the destination disk/SSD.
    I don't have "Migrate OS to SSD" on my older version of AOMEI so I don't know whether it is any different from Clone.
  • With clone partition system won't boot, screen seats black, that's why I'm looking at "migrate"
  • Did you try cloning the entire disk and it wouldn't boot, or did you clone only selected partitions?
    Also, examine the cloned disk - the WIN partition should be "C". AOMEI sometimes labels it with a different letter and I've found this will prevent it booting. It can be changed to "C" using  third party software such as Mini Tool Partition Wizard
  • I just tried it on the system partition. if the new boot partition is C(D;) will it not be recognised?
  • ......"It can be changed to "C" using  third party software such as Mini Tool Partition Wizard ".....
    unfortunately this is not possible in this instance. From the Site itself....."

……“Note:  MiniTool Partition Wizard doesn't allow changing drive letter of the system partition. “….   See also attach

• @Stoppage, "Migrate OS to SSD" is also a clone feature. It will detect and clone system partitions to another disk. It doesn't affect the source system.
    As for the boot problem, did you remove the source disk and then connect the cloned disk to the same location to boot?
    Or, did you connect it to the second slot, then boot into BIOS to set it to boot?
    Please try to rebuild MBR for the target disk, and then try to boot it again.

• Thank you all for your help. I've found the only cloning method that reboots successfully is if I clone the entire disk. Is this normal? (By the way, I'm using the free version). Also the clone sector-by-sector gets stuck at 99/100 PCT
  • @Stoppage, Have you tried to rebuild MBR for the target disk after system migration? still can't boot? 
    If you don't mind, could you test the system migration again? Please delete all partitions on the target disk, and then do system migration again.
  • Hmm....seems like Admin wants you to do some testing for them!  If you've finally cloned successfully and the cloned disc boots OK, why would you want to delete everything and do it all again?