Home AOMEI Products Support

Append system from one PC to another.

I've got a desktop with Windows 10 and laptop with Windows 11.
I want to "add" my desktop system to my laptop. Laptop has only one disk.
I want laptop has dual boot with my two old systems, not fresh Windows.
Is it possible?
I need to move only partion C: ? Or shoud I move all partions from desktop?

Comments

• @Dima2000, AOMEI Backupper can't create the dual boot via backup and restore way.
  • edited December 2022
    Thank you Dima2000, it may be possible to do this. I understand you want to take your Win10 and clone that to your Laptop, to have the option of booting to either one.
    Always create a backup of your disk before performing any major operation, such as this. Please backup your Laptop / destination disk, using Backupper > Full Disk backup to .ADI image file first onto an external USB drive, that you will not use during this proceedure, in case something goes wrong.
    For this operation to work, your old Win10 must be a GPT disk, and must be using UEFI boot method currently. If it is using legacy-BIOS method, and it is an MBR disk, do not perform these steps.
    Please go to your old Win10 PC, and use Backupper > partition backup to .ADI image file.
    Go to new Laptop PC, shrink Win11 partition to appropriate size, so that Win10 will have enough space to fit in there.
    Use Backupper to restore Win10 .ADI image file to your new Laptop disk, it should only restore the one Win10 C: partition.
    Please insert Win11 installation USB, and boot to that > Repair > Cmd > Diskpart > lis vol > note which drive letter is associated with your Win11 partition, it is OK if it is not C: right now, you are not required to change that > exit diskpart > BCDBoot C:\windows (insert DriveLetter of Win11 partition)
    If that suceeded, you can exit, turn off PC, remove Win11 installation USB, startup PC, it should now give you a choice between Win10, Win11 during startup.
    If the BCDBoot command failed, or if it does not now give you a Win boot choice, please go back to Win11 USB boot, and repeat the above steps, but prior to doing BCDBoot cmd, please do: Cmd > bootrec /fixmbr > bootrec /fixboot.
    Thank you Dima2000, I hope these steps help you dual boot your systems. Please reply with the results and screenshots, let everyone know how you resolved this issue.
    Aomei Forum techs, please reply with corrections to my steps, I would like to know, thank you all.
  • edited December 2022
    Here are 2 articles from Aomei about this topic:
    https://www.diskpart.com/articles/bcdboot-failure-when-attempting-to-copy-boot-files.html
    https://www.ubackup.com/articles/bcdboot-failure-when-attempting-to-copy-boot-files.html
    In the 2nd article, please only use the steps in Fix #2. I believe their Fix #1 appears to be for legacy-BIOS / MBR disks only, and my solution (above) is for UEFI / GPT disks.

Great free tool not from Aomei:
    EasyBCD - application
    https://easybcd.en.softonic.com