Home AOMEI Products Support

After restoring main partition onto my current drive, windows apps seem to have broke

So I used the Aomei Backupper on my drive, backed it up onto my HDD. Then did a clean install of Windows 10. Everything was working fine. For example I could open Nvidia Control Panel and EarTrumpet, which both require permissions from the windowsapps folder. 

I then restored my backup onto a separate partition on my current drive which is also my boot drive. After this, when I try to open these two apps, I get an access is denied, or Windows doesn't have permission to access this folder. 

NOTE: I have already tried taking ownership of the WindowsApps folder. I have also tried the regedit "hack" that adds the take ownership context menu button. I've also tried enabling inheritance, but am met with many folders saying access is denied. 

Comments

• I'm suspecting that restoring the partition onto my boot drive (although in a new partition) has messed with some Windows file settings and permissions, resulting in this problem. Would wiping this restored partition solve my issue?
  • @Silokkes, " I used the Aomei Backupper on my drive, backed it up onto my HDD. "---Did you perform disk backup?  or system backup?
    Did you restore the backup to another partition of the disk that you install the fresh windows 10 system?
  • @admin I performed disk backup. Yes, I restored the backup to another partition of the disk that has the fresh Windows 10. 

• @Silokkes, Generally, when you do the disk restore, it will overwrite the whole disk. Did you only select a partition from the backup image to restore?
    "I used the Aomei Backupper on my drive, backed it up onto my HDD. "---HDD is the original system disk? Why do you restore to another partition of the disk that has the fresh Windows 10?
    And, please delete the restored partition, and then check if you can run the two apps again?
  • @admin

I did disk backup, but afterwards chose to do partition restore, not disk restore. So I only selected the biggest partition to restore. My HDD is not the original system disk. I restored to another partition on my SSD which has fresh windows 10 because SSD has better transfer rates. 

In any case, I couldn't figure things out before you responded so in the end I had to re-install Windows 10 again and start anew. 
  • @Silokkes, Why do you need to do the restore? Do you run the two apps from the restored partition?