Home AOMEI Products Support

partition assistant server

Any activity on an iSCSIi disk that requires a reboot fails. Example convert MBR to GPT requires a reboot to the Aomei preboot environment which can't connect to the drive to perform the task outside the OS environment where the connection was created. Any suggestions?

Comments

• @Rayb99, Did you convert the system disk from MBR to GPT? Did you mean that you don't want to reboot the computer to perform the operation? 
    Generally, the system disk conversion needs to be performed under reboot mode.
  • In reboot mode the iscsi  connection is lost,, only available while Windows session is active. I ended up in Windows backing up the drive, deleting the partition, converting to GPT and then restoring the data back. Partition assistant would have to capture the iscsi connection from Windows and make available in partition assistant boot mode. I don't see a way to accomplish that though.

• @Rayb99, "I ended up in Windows backing up the drive, deleting the partition, converting to GPT and then restoring the data back."----Is it a data disk? If yes, are there any programs running on the disk?
    Generally, AOMEI Partition Assistant doesn't need to reboot when converting a data disk.
  • Yes, it is an iscsi connected drive on a Windows 2016 server to an Oracle ZS7 ZFS unit and a D24P-3 disk shelf LUN set up as a 2 TB MBR NTFS data partition going to 4 TB GPT NTFS partition.
  • Admin was correct in asking  "If yes, are there any programs running on the disk?". That made me realize that I have Hyper-V service running with VM's located on the drive and even though they were off the Hyper-V service was still running. Once I shut down the Hyper-V service, I can run the MBR to GPT procedure without a reboot. I performed the task on another identical server iscsi and disk array connection without issue.