Home AOMEI Products Support

Getting boot disk to recognize external hard drive

edited November 2014 in AOMEI Products Support

Hello. I am trying to restore from a backup I made in June. When I ran AOMEI Backupper Standard 2.0.3 in a Windows environment, it recognized my backup on my My Passport USB external hard drive, but when I used the AOMEI boot disk I had created by following directions to download Windows AIK, etc., it did not recognize the external hard drive in a boot environment. The error message I got when the AOMEI boot disk booted up on the reboot of the system was "Information Code: 4107. Element not found or the image file not found." But it's not surprising that it didn't find the image backup if it wasn't looking in the external hard drive. Yes, the drive was connected the entire time. Is there anything I can do to restore the backup, or do I have to give up?

Comments

• Hi Michael,

If the boot disk didn't recognize the external drive, you can transfer the image file from the external drive to NAS, then restore the file from NAS. 

• Thanks, YoungCheng. I don't think I have NAS, though. I use a Lenovo laptop in a home environment. It has two hard drives, but the second hard drive is very small (14.2 GB: much too small to copy a 100,767,161-KB image file to); an external CD/DVD drive (where I put the boot CD); and an external hard drive. That's it. So is there anything I can do?

• Michael,

When you attempt to restore the image, are you attempting to restore from the Home screen where it shows the list of updates, or are you clicking the restore tab, then Path and so on to navigate to the image?  The PE created for restoration should recognize your external hard drive; however, the drive letter assigned to it in the PE will not necessarily correspond to the drive letter assigned to it when running from your laptop's internal hard drive/OS.  Try using the restore tab and the path button to manually select the image that you wish to restore.  Let us know if that helps.

• Hi, Daryl.

When I am in a Windows environment, I use the Restore tab. The Home tab shows only "Disk Backup 11/3/2014 17:30:21", which doesn't actually exist. I click "Restore", then "Path", then "My Passport (F:)", then the "Disk Backup" directory, and that's where the image file is. However, when I'm in a boot environment, the Win PE boot disk does not recognize the external drive, as if it doesn't exist. That is the problem.

• Michael,

Is this external drive by chance a USB 3 device, Firewire, or something else aside from USB 1 or 2?  If it's USB 3 try a USB 2 port.  If it's another type of port then the PE is likely missing the driver it needs to recognize devices in said port.