Home AOMEI Products Support

Sync Option Missing

edited February 2021 in AOMEI Products Support
Hello, I hope all is well. I started testing this program today, and it's close to becoming the program of choice for my backup solution. However there was one main issue I had in the sync option...

TL;DL;

In the Basic, Real Time, and Mirrored Sync, Please let the user control if a NEW FOLDER needs to be created at the sync destination or not. Please make an option "create new folder in destination", otherwise when I select the destination folder for the sync, I am expecting the files from the Source to go TO THAT FOLDER, not a new folder with the source folder title...

----------------

Full Post;

I have this issue with Basic, Real time, and Mirror sync. When you select the source, and then the destination, the the folder of the source is created in the destination, which sometimes in preferred. However, most times this is not what I would want, and would instead want the program to just sync the direction of the source folder I selected instead of making a new folder instead.

Example; I select that I want to sync the contents of drive (E:\) to to drive (F:\), and yes I want sync because i need to be able to access the files and I want the changes mirrored. Drive E has a complete directory of files already, and I just want this "MIRRORED", every time new files are created, or deleted, and in the SAME directory format. However, Aomei will instead create a folder named "E", with the same directory contents otherwise...

However, I will argue that's not a mirror if I look on one drive and see the directory, and on the other see "E" with the directory in a folder that is not on the source. I have looked in the program in all options to tell it DO NOT create a new folder for the Sync, which is what I DON'T want...

So then I tried the Two Way Sync option, which did EXACTLY what I wanted except for the fact that I DO NOT want changes from the destination (which usually I wont make) to be sent back to the source. I only want changes from the source to the destination. That being said, it did backup the folder exactly as it was from the source to the destination without making a new folder, so to me, that would be the definition of a mirror backup.

I would like the option to have Basic, Real-Time, and Mirrored sync to sync the source folder to the new destination WITHOUT making a new folder titled after the destination, unless that is what the user wants, which depends on the situation. I would like to be able to use the Real-Time, and Mirrored options especially the Real-Time since it keeps things backed up without me having to configure it further, but i would like those to work as the Two-Way does, in making the folder directory exact without making a new folder, but still only syncing one way, just in case their is an issue with the destination drive...

So in Short, let the user control if a NEW FOLDER needs to be created at the sync destination or not. Please make an option "create new folder in destination", otherwise when I select the destination folder for the sync, I am expecting the files from the Source to go TO THAT FOLDER, not a new folder with the source folder title...

-------

One other minor issue while I'm here. I notice that folders are "Created" when syncing, or backing up. Instead of them being an actual mirror they are created, and lose the original file created, and modified date. I say it's minor because I will use RichCopy, along with FileTouch, to make sure the original directories are made "perfect" with the exact attributes, and dates for files, AND folders. From then my plan is to have Aomei Real-Time, and Mirrored Sync manage the Drives to make sure they are always backed up. This is after Richcopy has made a perfect copy of the files and folders with exact Created/Modified dates, which is highly important for me as I have work which I sometimes need to know the dates which goes back to 2003...

Comments