Home AOMEI Products Support

Newbie migrating from Acronis?

Just gone through a Win7_64 image rebuild. Acronis pollutes the windows registry so much it's virtually impossible to remove all left over registry traces without breaking the image. Decided to try Aomie Backuper since it looked simple and bloat free. After years of (reliable) Acronis I prefer manually managing my backups. I don't use scheduled backups because I prefer to check stability and event logs for errors first.

The first and fundamental problem with Aomie pro was a truncated window not showing all the destination folder options, absolutely necessary to set up the destination drive and folder name. I use 2 X HP LP2475w Wide monitors running recommended native resolution 1920 X 1200  60Hz with GTX 760 GFX. All Windows from a vanilla Win7_64 Sp1 + Updates render the windows O.K. Aomie pro uses a popup file location window that cannot be scaled with sliders.

Contacted support be email and their only suggestion was to downscale the monitor to 1920 X 1080. There is no option for this resolution combo and as every image professional knows, native resolution without downscaling is best for image and movie work. This is a serious Aomie bug affecting a fundamental action not present either with windows OS apps or any other app I've used.

As I was in Windows Vanilla install mode, it was a good time to test prove a backup and re-install. You can't trust any backup program until you have tested it!

The first annoying problem was disconnecting the Scheduled backup options and to remove them from boot starts, wanting manual control and to prevent a timed backup going somewhere I didn't want such as my SSD with limited storage space. Eventually after going through hoops and also disabling the Aomie scheduler service, I got that fixed. But why in the scheduler window full of fields isn't there an option to 'not schedule' backups? O.k supply the app. configured to schedule but at least put an option there to not schedule?

It wasn't clear why a choice of 2 Rescue disk formats was offered, but I chose the Aomie Linux boot disc. After fighting the truncated destination window I got a disk backup where I wanted. For safety I did a microsoft image backup as well.

Then I restored and that was a surprise!  The popup asked for the 'Rescue disk' I had made earlier to restore in 'Restart Mode'. It worked but it's not ideal. I suspect the majority of image failures are not due to hard disk hardware but corruption of Windows system files. That's my experience. Therefore in most cases a restore is of the disc image with an undamaged drive structure.

The Acronis installation first formats the HDD with a protected partition. This allows their app to boot and restore from its own protected partition without CD's or USB  rescue media. E.g I'm away travelling and the OS crashes. This is how laptop manufacturers usually configure their recovery. A recovery disc is usually only required for a serious hard drive problem or new HDD in the same machine.

For now I will trial Aomie a little longer because it seems to lack the complexity and bloatware of others, but I'm also weighing up the advantages over using Windows built in system image and file backup utilities.

Has anybody got any ideas as to how I can get around some of these issues?

Thanks

Comments

• At first, I do not come along with your Acronis experience. I use Acronis True Image and all other tools from the beginning and be satisfied. So I could not follow your failures at all. Acronis do not format or do any other tasks by itself, the user decided.

I´m really confused after reading your thread and have problems to find out your real problems.

Believe me, you will not be happy about using Windows internal backup / recovery tools and processes.

And final, please clarify your failures in simple short questions and explanations. That makes it easier for us to help you.