Home Storage General Discussion

Both HDD not booting after a Disk Copy

Hello,

I wanted to copy my 500Go HDD into a 1To HDD using AOMEI Backupper. My 500Go was starting to do some noises (grinding sounds) so I decided to change it with another one I had.

After my computer rebooted in order for the program to copy the disk, all went well and the copy ended at 100%, saying it would restart.

Now my computer says that a "Disk read error occured" and cannot start. I've tried to boot on both HDD by changing their orders in the BIOS, then I unplugged them one by one just to make sure which one was working. None of them managed to boot.

Now after some test in my BIOS, I've managed to change the message displayed/ It now says : "Reboot and Select proper Boot device or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key".

I couldn't find any insight on google, so I decided to make a post here, hoping someone can help me.

Thanks a lot,

Comments

• Please try to rebuild the MBR of the disk. Check this link for more information. After rebuilding MBR, boot your computer again.

• Hello,

I just rebuilt the MBR of both disks. None of them manages to boot.

I get this message on my screen : "Reboot and Select proper Boot device or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key".

When I accessed the disks' data using AOMEI Partition Assistant in boot mode, I was able to see that both disks were recognized and that E:/ was the same size as C:/ now, which is a good sign that the process worked I guess.

Any other ideas ?

• 1 "the program to copy the disk", you use Disk Clone to do this. Am I right?

2 Do the original disk and the new disk share the same format? Such as all MBR formatted? Check the attached image.

3 "E:/ was the same size as C:/ now, which is a good sign", could you please explain to me why this indicates the process worked?