Home AOMEI Products Support

Aomei PE Builder & Windows 10 Device Drivers

I've been trying to create a bootable PE USB disk which will contain the correct device drivers for my system, but so far nothing I do seems to change the info shown under Device Manager each time I boot with the latest ISO I have created. 

I tried using Driver Backup software and backing up device drivers into a separate directory.  Then I click on add drivers and add five "inf" files into the list, but this seems to have no effect on the number of yellow warning icons listed in Device Manager.  What am I doing wrong?  It is almost as if the PE build I'm creating doesn't recognize the drivers I keep adding?

Comments

• I was able to use dism to inject NIC drivers into a boot image for a Dell precision when PEBuilder failed.  Here's an extract from some documentation I wrote:

Drivers need to be “injected” into \Sources\boot.wim.  That file will be around 400 MB and comprises most of the image.  For driver injection, copy the entire USB key contents to a hard disk directory, or use 7-zip to pull all of the files out of the ISO image.  For this document, the directory will be F:\BootISOs\Inject. Dism needs a directory to mount boot.wim.  I created empty F:\dism-mount.

DISM can be run directly, but powershell has commands that make it easier.  Run powershell as admin.  Commands are

Get-WindowsImage -ImagePath F:\BootISOs\Inject\Sources\boot.wim

Note the reported ImageIndex value for use in the next command.  In this case, it will be 1, but in general there could be multiple installers in boot.win.

Mount-WindowsImage -Path F:\dism-mount\ -ImagePath F:\BootISOs\Inject\Sources\boot.wim -Index 1

Add-WindowsDriver -Path F:\dism-mount\ -Driver "F:\BootISOs\Drivers\Intel e1d6564\" -Recurse

Dismount-WindowsImage -Path F:\dism-mount\ -Save

If only a single-function boot key is needed, just replace boot.wim with the updated version.  Otherwise, the ISO image needs to be updated.  7-zip cannot do this.  I used the freeware program ImgBurn for this. 

• @ Freedom2009, Did you mean that AOMEI Backupper or AOMEI Partition Assistant under WinPE can't list your disks? All disk?
    "this seems to have no effect on the number of yellow warning icons listed in Device Manager."---What mean? Could you take a photo so that we check?

• @Admin, Below is a picture of Device Manager has displayed in the PE disk I created.  It appears that my disks are being recognized, but I'm concerned that some of the functions of my mobo (such as cooling fans) may not be functioning properly due to missing or incorrect drivers. 
  • @Wssddc, Thank you very much for your very detailed advice, but it appears that it maybe a little bit over my head.  I really didn't work with computers too much between 2007 and 2020, so now I have a lot catch up learning to do.  First I will have to spend some time learning about dism and the boot.wim file however the weekend.  I will give your method a try after I understand it a little better.
  • @Freedom2009, WinPE is a micro-system. It doesn't integrate all drivers of the windows system. It only adds the necessary drivers. If all drivers are added, the WinPE will be very big. Generally, these unadded drivers have no influence on using the WinPE.