Home AOMEI Products Support

Cannot create a boot disk

Aomei backupper 6.1 pro
Basically I go through all the step to create a boot disk (from tools) everything looks OK but the USB disk is emptly. Tried both options, legacy and uefi.
Please advise

Comments

• edited October 2020
    Hmm....  At a minimum there should be 3 folders, boot, efi, sources, and a bootmgr file on the USB flash drive so I am confused as to why the flash drive is empty.  I am assuming that you are using USB flash drives that are 32GB or less in size for your rescue disc and not a external USB hard disc.  Microsoft has set the upper limit to 32GB for bootable USB Flash drives.  Are the drives you are using 32GB or less in size?  Are the USB flash drives that you are using USB 2.0 or USB 3.0?  Does your Windows machine recognize the flash drives when you plug them into the USB port and can you write normal files to the thumb drives?  Did also you try to create the Linux based boot disc using the rescue media builder and was it successful or was it blank like the WinPE rescue discs? 

Can you try to create a UEFI or Legacy ISO file and then use a tool like Rufus to create a bootable USB flash drive using that ISO? 

• Thanks for your answer. I did try the legacy an UEFI, although not the LInux. My USB Is 2.0 (I suppose) and 8GB.
    The flash drive is perfectly recognized in Explorer and works fine copying any file. Strange, after I try, everytime the USB drive is empty.
    One last thing, I tried downloading the ISO image and extracting it to the USB flash  and It does not boot either.
    Please advise.

• Update:
    Tried with Rufus with the ISO file and the flash does not boot.
    Please advise
  • Sorry, but I am fresh out of ideas.  I have never seen the rescue disc fail like that.  This is one mystery where the @admin or one of the other users will have to solve,
  • Hi,
    For some unknown reason (I did nothing new) the flash boot disk is now populated and created, but it "doesn't boot".
    Please advise.
  • To get a USB flash drive to boot requires that you have the proper format rescue disc, UEFI or Legacy, for the bios mode of your machine.  First you have to find out what boot mode your machine is configured for.  Go to a command prompt and type in MSINFO32 and press enter.  Look down the list of items for one labeled as Bios Mode.  If the mode is set to UEFI then you want to create a WinPE UEFI rescue media.  If the mode is set to BIOS or LEGACY then you want to select the WinPE Legacy rescue media.  If your system bios is configured for compatibility (CSM support) then even though the system information says UEFI it is really LEGACY.  Next you have to determine how to get the machine to recognize the USB media.  You have to select the flash drive from the boot override menu.  Generally the boot override menu is accessed by pressing the F11 or F12 key.  If you don't have a boot override menu selection then you will have to enter the system bios and place the USB media as the first boot selection on the list.  Keep in mind that the USB flash media has to be the same mode as the machine.  So if the bios mode is UEFI then you want to select the UEFI:USB (flash drive name) selection.  If the bios mode is BIOS or Legacy then you want to select the (USB flash drive name).

The simplest boot media is the Linux rescue media.  Try creating that USB bootable disc and see if you can boot up your machine on that flash drive.  Please note that every once in a while the computer will display the directory of the flash drive even though the rescue media is not finished at that time.  Minimize the window and watch for the Aomei Status windows to show the creation of the rescue media as being finished.  Once you are successful with that USB flash drive then you can tackle the more complicated task of creating and booting up off of a WinPE Flash drive.

• HI,
    Thanks for your guidance. I have UEFI bios mode and the boot menu is set to boot from USB (I can boot perfectly well with other products). I did try Linux and it did not work.
    The problem is that if I can't boot from the AOMEI utility then I can't restore and making images is useless.
    Please advise.
  • Well unfortunately I am back at the point where I am fresh out of ideas.  I am going to have to defer to the @admin to help you out. 
  • @Ameneses, @Vbbritt, Please check if the USB drive is GPT format. If yes, please convert it to MBR, and then create again.
    If it is MBR USB drive, this is a bug of our software. We will fix it after. Please create the WinPE ISO file, and then burn it to USB via a third-party burning tool.
    But, the UEFI WinPE ISO of AOMEI Backupper can't be burned via the third-party burning tool. It is unable to boot.
    Please try to download and use AOMEI PE Builder to create the WinPE ISO, and then burn it to USB via a third-party burning tool. It will integrate AOMEI Backupper you installed.
    http://www2.aomeisoftware.com/download/pe/2.0/full/PEBuilder.exe
  • Dear sir,
    Your explanation is confusing, please reformat it and let me know. The process should be straight forward!
  • Hi,
    The Aomei PeBuilder did the trick--thanks.