Home AOMEI Products Support

1TB SSD only shows 1024MB total disk space after cloning

I cloned a 250gb ssd to a 1tb ssd and it wouldn't boot. It had two partitions that I merged and when I converted to GPT, I'm down to 1024.00mb total with 1022.00mb unallocated. I can't do anything with it because it's "too small" to partition.
Any idea on how to fix this?

Comments

• Try to merge and convert it after the coling....
  • If you are wanting to create two partitions on the drive then you will need to shrink the active partition to free up some space to create a second partition.  You can use Mini Tool Partition Wizard or Aomei Partition Assistant to accomplish that task.  Once you have shrunk the partition then you can use the same tool to create a second partition on the drive.

Now if your goal to to fix the non boot issue then splitting the drive and creating a second partition will not solve your problem.  If your machine is set up for a bios type of UEFI then you should have a minimum of 3 partitions on the boot drive.  One partition is a small EFI boot partition that tells where the UEFI boot files are stored, the second is your drive C, and last is a recovery partition where the WinRe information is stored.  If your machine uses the older classic bios boot mode then the Master Boot Record is the first sector on the disk.

So here is what I would recommend:  1.) take the new SSD and delete all of the active partitions using the Disk Management tool in Windows.  When you finish you will have a unpartioned drive.  2.) Connect the unpartioned drive to the machine where the old disc exists that you want to clone.  I have had success plugging the new disc into a spare SATA connector on the motherboard or plugging the SSD drive into a SATA to USB adapter.  3.) Using Aomei Backupper select the clone menu selection and then select the System Clone option from the sub menu.  The software will automatically select the system disk and all of the associated partitions that make up the system.  Please note that with the standard (free Version) of Backupper you can only clone like to like disk formats (MBR to MBR or GPT to GPT).  To clone a MBR to GPT disk format requires the professional version (Paid) of Backupper.  Here is a link to a tutorial that describes the process in detail.  https://www.ubackup.com/help/system-clone.html.  4.) After the clone process finishes then power off your computer and remove the original disc from your machine and plug in the new disk to that particular SATA connection.  Reboot your computer and insure that it boots up.  It may be necessary to go into the system bios and change the boot order so that the new SSD disk is defined.  Normally the first selection is listed as "Windows Boot Manager" followed by your disc name.  Please read the tutorial until you are thoroughly familiar with the process to prevent mistakes performing the clone process.

You an also perform a Disk Clone instead of the System Clone but the System Clone performs some of the steps automatically for you.  A link to the Disk Clone process is here:  https://www.ubackup.com/help/disk-clone.html.

Good luck and I hope this helps.

• edited October 2020
    @Frznagn, I completely failed to notice the discrepancy in the size.  Sorry about that.  When you boot up the machine on the old drive are you able to post an image of your new SSD drive size and partitions from the Windows Disk Management tool or Aomei Partition Assistant?