Home AOMEI Products Support

AOMEI PE Builder 2.0

Windows Defender is classifying HideRun.exe in the system folder of AOMEI PE Builder 2.0 as an undesirable program and is placing it into Quarantine.  Is this a false positive or are there problems with the file?

Comments

• I looked at two machines where I have this installed.  On one, hiderun.exe was missing so I reinstalled pebuilder to restore it.  I updated signatures and scanned the file with Windows Defender on both machines and got no complaints.  The fact that it was missing on one machine suggests that WD deleted it at some point and I didn't notice.  On the other hand, Malwarebytes flags it as generic/suspicious.  At VirusTotal, 20 of 70 programs flag it.  It's a program to run another program hidden.  I can see why that might be suspicious.  Here, I think it's harmless.
  • @Wssddc, Thank you for your reply.  I noticed that most of the reports I read places the file in different folders than the folder that PE Builder is in so I think it is harmless too.  I also noticed that the new version of Acronis True Image (version 2021) has morphed into a backup and antivirus package and is flagging it as well. 
  • Thank your for your feedback, we will test the issue.