Home AOMEI Products Support

Clone

Aomei support not helping me. Anyone knows how to clone larger to smaller drive. I cannot do. It says drive to small. There is sites about this but didnt help me. I see sites saying Aomei can clone larger to smaller drives. Like to know how.

Thanks

Comments

• HOW DO I DO THIS
  • What I would do first is see if the used space on drive C is smaller than the size of the replacement disk.  If it is then I would use Aomei Partition Assistant to reduce the size of the drive C partition so that it is smaller than the new drive.  Then I would attempt the clone process again.  I know that the clone process allows you to edit the destination partition, but I have only seen the option when the destination disk is larger than the source disc. 
  • @Soulslice You can do the disk clone. If the used space on drive C is smaller than the size of the replacement disk, you can do the clone, it will resize clones partitions automatically to adapt to the small disk.
  • I am not following you. Dont understand what you mean. Drive C is Win10 it is 75GB this means whats left of C: is about 28GB. So if you mean replacement disk is destination disk it is 149GB. So that is bigger than what C: is. There is special partition on my Win10 called Local and Recovery. My 149GB drive can hold those as well
  • Okay let's start over.  What is the total size of the source disk?  If you look at the attached file, Disk Management, you will see that my boot disk is 465.64 GBs.  It is separated into 3 partitions, EFI is 100 MB, Drive C is 464.99, and the recovery partition is 560 MB.  As my disk is currently configured I would need a destination disk that is larger than 465.64 to be able to clone my boot disk.  Looking closer at the Disk Management information my Drive C partition has 345.46 of free space and roughly 119.53 used space.  So I could shrink my drive C partition by some amount of space, but not all 345.46 GB because Windows requires a certain amount of space reserved for a swap area.  Still you could shrink the C partition by some 250 GB which would make the new size of Drive C equal to about 215 GB.

To be able to clone a disk you have to have the Aomei Backupper Pro version of the software.  The Backupper Standard, the free version, will not permit the clone feature to work.

So if you are saying that the total size of your source disc is less than the 149GB of your destination disk then you should be able to clone the disk.  What am I missing here?   

• I dont think you know what I want to do. I have a 1TB drive. This has Win10 on it. It also has 2 special partitions like you said Recovery. The rest of the drive is for Data. So about 80GB for Win10 the rest is for data say 900GB. So I want to clone that to a smaller drive that is 149GB. This is enough for my Win10 at 80GB. I HAVE SEEN SITES SHOWING I CAN DO THIS. https://www.ubackup.com/clone/clone-large-hdd-to-smaller-ssd-4348.html. This shows source disk is 1TB. It shows 500GB drive for destination. This site look like from Aomei. It says clone large to small drive. I AM TRYING TO FIND OUT HOW TO DO THIS. All is entered then it says drive too small. I cannot go any further. 
  • I am trying to deleted comments I entered for no reason. I dont know how to that on this site.
  • I have a 1TB drive. This has Win10 on it. It also has 2 special partitions like Recovery. The rest of the drive is for Data. So about 80GB for Win10 the rest is for data say 900GB. So I want to clone that to a smaller drive that is 149GB. This is enough for my Win10 at 80GB. I HAVE SEEN SITES SHOWING I CAN DO THIS. https://www.ubackup.com/clone/clone-large-hdd-to-smaller-ssd-4348.html. This shows source disk is 1TB. It shows 500GB drive for destination. This site look like from Aomei. It says clone large to small drive. I AM TRYING TO FIND OUT HOW TO DO THIS. All is entered then it says drive too small. I cannot go any further. I CANNOT CLONE. SO WHY.
  • @Soulslice, Could you take a screenshot of your windows disk management so that we check the layout of your disks?
    You can press Win+R, and then run "Diskmgmt.mcs" to open Windows Disk Management.