Home AOMEI Products Support

No restore image appearing for disk clone

I did a disk clone and then opened restore according to your tutorial here: https://www.ubackup.com/help/disk-restore.html, but no image appears on the cloned external drive. C:\ drive files are there, but no image file appears like in your tutorial.

Thanks for the help.
Paul

Comments

• The clone operation will not create the image files. Backup operations will generate backup images. As for the differences between backup and clone, please refer to here: 
    https://www.ubackup.com/help/Differences-between-Backup-and-Clone.html
  • My question is how to restore system files and everything else from a clone as indicated extensively on your website.
    Thx.
  • ...to make a bootable drive.
  • Your link says, "Disk clone accurately copies one hard drive to another. All data and files on the original disk will be transferred, including the operating system, applications, partitions, and configurations/settings."

Great. Now, how do I restore or copy or whatever to a new, bootable SSD?
  • The clone disk operation makes a duplicate of the system disk or disk specified by the user.  I usually connect a new disk to a USB port and after running the clone disk operation I replace the boot disk with the disk that I created.  Hope this explanation helps. 
  • @Paul53 Sorry that we don't quite understand your questions. If you perform clone, you don't need to do the restore. If you clone system disk to an SSD, you can directly use the cloned SSD to boot after clone.
    So, Do you want to clone your system disk to another SSD, and then set the SSD as new system disk? what problems do you encounter when you do the clone?

• I have made a disk clone, thinking that was best, to an SSD external drive because my HDD C:\ drive is failing. I have a new SSD C:\ drive on the way. I thought I could clone the new SSD C:\ drive from the SSD external drive. 

My present HDD C:\ drive is still functioning, and maybe it will last until the new drive arrives. If so, maybe the process described by @vbbritt will work for me, although I was under the impression that I needed to use a SATA cable, in fact the same SATA cable, to "restore" the system and files, what I've been calling a clone, and have a bootable disk.

I am grateful for your help.
  • edited August 2020
    Paul53, you can open your case and use a spare SATA cable to hook up your new SSD drive if you choose to do it that way.  Or you can purchase a SATA to USB adapter cable and use that equally as well.  Once you have your new SSD drive plugged up then you will be ready to boot up the machine.  When you boot up your machine you will see that you have your original drives on your computer and most likely your new SSD drive may or may not appear.  You may have to go into Disk Management and create a partition on the new SSD drive and assign a drive letter before it will appear.  If the drive is over 2TB then you would want to choose GPT instead of MBR for your partition table if you want a single large partition as MBR only supports a maximum size of 2TB.  Once you have created a new partition on the new SSD drive then you are ready to clone the original boot disc onto the new SSD disc.  While your method of cloning your external drive and then using that to clone your new disc should work fine it would be just as good to create a System Backup or a Disk Backup and then install your new disc in your machine and restore the backup to the new disc.  Restoring the System Backup will restore the information contained in the System Backup as well as the boot sector and the result should be a viable copy of your original Drive-C hard disk.  There are always more than one way to accomplish this task and none are better or worse than the other.

• That's the answer @vbbritt. You've covered everything and every option, fully explained, except that I think I need to clone because of the various folders and apps on the existing HDD that I need preserved. Thank you.

For your info, AOMEI has been able to accomplish what Macrium was not; it failed to clone.
  • If you use the option in the backup mode to make an exact backup then the program should record sector by sector which I would think would capture all of the folders and apps on the existing HDD.  You could make the backup and then mount the backup and use windows explorer to go in and examine the backup to see if the various folders and apps are actually stored in the backup.  I have, for the most part, used another vendor's backup program for my backups and also to clone the disc and I have never had any problems with missing folders or apps.  I haven't personally tried it with Aomei Backupper, but based upon my experience with other programs I would expect it to work with Aomei Backupper as well.