is partitioned into a 68 GB and around a 430 GB. I had a problem with
the boot getting corrupted on the computer so I have tried restoring my
backup and once I restore it, the computer still will not boot. So, I
took a 640 GB HD and put into the system and tried restoring my backup
to it (the 640 GB is completely wiped and free) and when I try to
restore it I get an error message saying that the drive is not large
enough I still need an additional 823 GB? What? The whole image cannot
be larger than 500 GB because that is the max size the drive was that
the image was made from. So, why would it require an additional 823 GB?

Comments

• Just to be sure: wiped means that there're no partion information left on the new device? 

• This is a bug. And it has been resolved by our dev team. Once the latest version is released, welcome to try and evaluate it.

• edited October 2014

I would love to test it out. I needed this imaged restored lilke 3 days ago when I had an issue with this computer. Now, I stuck. Where can I download it from? Is this a bug in ALL versions or just the current? i.e. can I go back to an older version and the bug not be there? And yes, when I say wiped I mean the hd has 640 GB of free space...no partitions...nothing...completely clean.

• Please restore the image file to the 500 G HD again and boot the computer. If it failed to boot, please provide us the error message or screenshot of the failure.

• One of the error messages I get is "A disk error occurred...Press Ctrl+Alt+Del". Going to restore the image again to get the other error message I was getting. Will post back.

• edited October 2014

Sorry...cannot find anyway to delete a post...see below for error message.

• Ok, when I made this backup I must have made a complete system backup because when I boot from the AOMEI Backupper cd it asks me if I want to do the full system backup restore for parition C & D. When I select "Yes" that is when I get the error message about not having enough space.

Here is the exact error message it gives me when I try to select the hard drive to restore the image on: "Note: This selected destination partition is too small. Required the at least: 823.69 GB"

That is word for word the error message. I have tried just restoring the C: OS parition and when I do and then reboot I get the "A disk error occurred...Press Ctrl+Alt+Del" error message.

Again, the whole complete hard drive size that the image was created from is only a 500 GB hard drive. I am trying to restore it to a 640 GB hard drive, which AOMEI Backupper shows to have 596.16 GB of free space. I have also tried restoring it the 500 GB drive and get a similar error message...not enough space.

• Guess I will count this a dead thread...no help in here.

• 1 "used AOMEI Backupper to make a System Image of a 500 GB HD", what kind of backup? Is it system backup or disk backup?

2 "boot getting corrupted on the computer so I have tried restoring my
    backup and once I restore it, the computer still will not boot",try to rebuild the MBR of the disk. Check this link for more information.

3 "tried restoring my backup to it (the 640 GB is completely wiped and free)", does the new hard disk share the same format as the old one in your computer(such as all MBR formatted)?

Could you please provide us screenshots of the issue you encounter. The more the better.

• edited October 2014

It says it is a "system backup", but it does also give the option to restore just a single partition as well. I have tried rebuilding the the MBR and everything. Tried Fixmbr, bootcfg /rebuild...etc. no luck. Yes, the 640 GB hd is the exact same format NTFS as the 500 GB hd. Pictures are coming later. AOMEI is simply screwed up. It will not restore a system image from a 500 GB hd back to that hd or even a larger hd. I have always used Acronis True Image and in years past Norton Ghost with not problems. I recently switched to AOMEI Backupper and I am regretting that switch everyday now. I have been working on computers now for over 35 years and I am very good at it...there is simply a flaw in the backup program.

• edited October 2014

• Drive 1 in the above image is an external 1 TB hd where I have moved my AOMEI  backup image to. Drive 0 is a 640 GB hd and am trying to restore it to. Remember, the original hard was only a 500 GB hd.

• We are going to release a new version next week. Once it is published, I will inform you immediately. You can use the new version to solve the issue.

• That would be great! I have been working trying to get this computer back up for about a month now.

• edited October 2014
    Please advise when the new version is out.  Your OS is NOT safe until it can be backed up AND restored properly.
  • When will the new verision with the fix be out?

• edited October 2014

Hi everyone,

We have fixed the problem that you are not able to restore a SYSTEM backup. And we will release the new version in recent days, maybe in these 2or3 days. 

But if you are not able to restore a DISK backup to a larger drive, we are sincerely hope and request that you all post the logs on the furum or send them to us at [email protected]   

The more information we can get from you all, we can analyze the problem better and solve the problem more efficiently. Thank you very much in advance for understanding and support. 

• Hello to all,

We have released the latest version of Backupper in recent days, we have fixed the problem that the system backup is not able to restore in this version. 

You can visit this website to download Backupper v.2.0.3: http://www.backup-utility.com/download.html

If there are still any further problems, please kindly let us know. Thank you.