Home Storage General Discussion

Merging two partitions (C and D) into one not working

Hello there!

My Sony Vaio has a 350GB hard drive which is split into two partitions, C and D. When I first got the laptop, it had Windows 7 installed on the primary partition and the other partition was empty. Recently I decided that I would like to try Windows 8.1 so I installed it to Local Disk D (the empty one) and everything went fine. I was and still am happy with Windows 8.1 so I decided I'll use it and attempt to remove Windows 7 from the other partition. After deleting all the folders (Windows, Program Files, etc.) and then removing Windows 7 from msconfig I'm still unable to merge both partitions.

The partition that had Windows 7 on it has a lot of data (around 127GB) that I'd like to keep and unfortunately I do not have an external HDD that I can backup to.

This is a screen shot of what my HDD looks like at the moment:

Whenever I try to merge them, it says:

"

Sorry, the current operation has been canceled!

Information Code: 43

Description: Some files or folders can not be accessed when enumerating a directory. You could open the installation directory of the program, then open a "log" folder to find out which files can not be accessed, and then manually cut and paste the files to other partitions.

What does the Information Code mean? Please refer to: http://www.disk-partition.com/help/errorcode.html 

"

I believe thre are two files inside the "Windows" folder that refuse to be deleted or moved or anything. They're "Flash64_11_8_800_94.ocx" and "Flash32_11_8_800_94.ocx". I have tried everything in order to remove them but it's not working. I have a feeling that that's what is causing the issue.

Can someone please tell me what to do?

Thank you.

Comments

• Update: I used an application called "Unlocker" and was able to delete the aforementioned files but the problem still exists. :(

• Tarekelsakka,

Have you tried creating a bootable USB drive or CD with PE Builder?  Windows is likely not allowing you to merge the partitions because this is the active system drive.  If you create an Aomei PE with PE Builder then use Partition Assistant you should be able to perform this merge.